Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Cockenzie And Portseton
NT 40392 75805
340392, 675805


1882. Near-symmetrical terrace of 13 houses in stylised late-Gothic. 2-storey blocks interspersed by cottages in single storey with attic and porch. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble, dressings stugged, droved and chamfered.

N (FRONT) ELEVATION: symmetrical sequence of cottage fronts. 3 centre houses (Nos 6, 7, 8) in 2-storey crowstepped gabled fronts buttressed at ends, each with door and window in advanced crowstepped gabled porch; flanked by 3-light mullioned and transomed window above cill course, 4-light window in same style in gables above with hoodmoulds and projecting cills. End houses (Nos 1, 13) in similar style with 7-light ground floor window, 5 light window to 1st floor above string course with hood moulding and blank plaque in gablehead. Other houses intermediate in 2 groups of 4, single storey and attic in reversed plan, each with door and window in shared crowstepped gabled porch flanked by tripartite window, single timber tripartite dormer above with bargeboard.

E AND W (END) ELEVATIONS: door to end cottages in forward bay, flanked at both ends by 5-light mullioned and transomed window. E end with small window to next bay, stair window above breaking string course; recessed section to rear with door and tripartite window. W end with stair window; recessed section to rear with door, small window and tripartite window.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: altered and extended. Original fabric near symmetrical with small dormers and crowstepped gables, complementing front features. Outshots to central and end blocks in crowstepped gables, others piended. Openings now irregular, but upper gables with 3 symmetrical windows to central block and off-centred bipartite window to each end block.

Doors replaced, originally panelled (?). Windows timber sash and case, originally 4-pane over 1, many altered. Roofs in Welsh slate. Tall stacks symmetrical on ridge, snecked rubble with projecting cope, blocking courses and octagonal cans. Decorative rainwater hoppers and square-section downpipes.

FRONT WALLS: largely unaltered, low rubble wall with saddleback cope, single gatepiers.

Statement of Special Interest

Constructed as model housing for fishermen by the Wemyss Estate, contemporary with the less-grand Elcho Place adjacent. Lord Wemyss was a benefactor of the local fishing industry, having contributed to the construction of the adjacent Port Seton Harbour, opened in 1880 by Lady Elcho (later Countess of Wemyss).



OS Map, Haddingtonshire, 1894. C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1976, p140.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-13 (INCLUSIVE NOS) WEMYSS PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:24