Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
Cockenzie And Portseton
NT 40373 75820
340373, 675820


1882. Near-symmetrical terrace of 15 houses in stylised late-Gothic. 2-storey blocks interspersed by cottages in single storey with attic. Squared and snecked sandstone rubble, dressings stugged, droved and chamfered.

N (FRONT) ELEVATION: symmetrical sequence of cottage fronts. 3 centre houses (Nos 7, 8, 9) in 2-storey crowstepped tri-gable front with door and 4-light mullioned and transomed window to ground floor, same window foreshortened to 1st floor with hood moulding. End houses (nos 1, 15) in similar style with 5-light ground floor window, 4-light above. Other houses intermediate in 2 groups of 5, single-storey and attic, each with door and tripartite window, reversed plans to pair doors and windows, single timber tripartite dormers above gabled with bargeboards. Slight alterations eg no 5 rendered; no 11 with small open porch.

E AND W (END) ELEVATIONS: door to end cottages in forward bay. E end with single window to rear at ground, 1 small tripartite window central on 1st floor; W end with 2 bipartite windows flanking door, 1 single window to rear bay, 1 bipartite window above with crowstepped dormerhead breaking eaves.

S (REAR) ELEVATION: much altered and undistinguished. Of original fabric, crowstepped features and small dormers complement front features, also low hipped outshots.

Doors originally plain boarded with bipartite fanlight, many altered. Windows timber sash and case, originally 4-pane over 1, many altered. Roofs in Welsh slate. Stacks symmetrical on ridge, originals in snecked rubble with cavetto cope and 6 plain cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Constructed as model housing for fishermen by the Wemyss Estate, contemporary with the grander Wemyss Place adjacent. Lord Wemyss was a benefactor of the local fishing industry, having contributed to the construction of the adjacent Port Seton Harbour, opened in 1880 by Lady Elcho (later Countess of Wemyss).



OS Map, Haddingtonshire, 1894. C McWilliam, LOTHIAN, 1976, p140.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-15 (INCLUSIVE NOS) ELCHO PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 29/02/2020 01:21