Early-mid 17th century, small Laird's house. 3-storey
cottage; whitewashed rubble, tooled rubble dressings.
frontage built against slope, with 2-storey rear; 3-bay
frontage remodelled 1902 and now entered at 1st floor level,
the centre entrance reached by light of stone steps
oversailing former ground floor entrance. Harl pointed
rubble, tooled rubble and ashlar dressings.
Narrow window to left of centre entrance, later square
window at right (former door). 2 pedimented dormers break
wallhead, to left with 17th century monogrammed pediment, to
right pediment of circa 1900. Later entrance to ground floor
at right of steps. Single window in SW gable with paired
small attic windows above; one similar attic window in NE
gable which also has blocked pair of round gun-loops and
re-set monogrammed pediment. 3 circular gun loops grouped
in triangular formation set in ground floor of rear elevation.
Chamfered margins to early windows; varied glazing. Coped
end stacks of slightly unequal size; Banffshire slate roof
in front, Welsh at rear.
INTERIOR: former ground floor retains centre entrance, now
masked by projecting outer stairs with substantial draw-bar
hole. Hollowed recess for circular stairwell in N angle
with associated splayed vent; rear, front and NE gable walls
all have splayed vents or loops; no evidence of fireplace.
Glazed triple gun loops light splayed opening in NE room;
otherwise no original features visible.
Statement of Special Interest
Adam Duff, merchant of Inverness, bought Drummuir in 1621.
Monogramm A A D on re-set pediments may be for Adam Duff
(d. 1682) and his wife Anne Abercromby. Chimney lintel
dated 1608 said to be masked by present fireplace
in NE room. Monogram TGD on c. 1900 pediment is for Thomas
Drummuir Mains steading not included in listing.