Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BLACKNESS CASTLELB230

Status: Removed

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/02/1971
Date Removed:
25/10/2017
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Parish
Bo'Ness And Carriden
NGR
NT 5545 80253
Coordinates
305545, 680253

Removal Reason

As part of the Dual Designation project, we have reviewed the structures at this site and concluded that scheduling is the most appropriate mechanism to secure the preservation of this structure as a monument of national importance

Description

15th cent. CURTAIN WALLS: Plan resembling <> of a ship.

NORTH BASTION ('the Stem'): Altered 1693. 2 vaulted storeys

and pit-prison. surmounted by gun-platform. MID TOWER ('the

Main Mast'). Square. 4 storeys. Corbelled parapet. Angle

turrets, Barrel-vaulted rooms. Turnpike stair-tower (added

1667). Draw-well outside. GOVERNOR'S HOUSE at S. end: 16th

cent. L-plan. 4 storeys and cape-house (corbie-stopped).

Terrace on court side. Turnpike stair leading to Hall etc.

SPUR to W. of House: Heightened and altered 1693. Angle

turret. Iron yett opening on to pend.

Statement of Special Interest

Crown property On a rocky promontory (the Black Ness) on

Firth of Forth. Built as a royal fortress. In 17th cent. it

was a State prison for distinguished Covenanters. One of 4

Scottish Castles maintained according to Treaty of Union

1707. Converted into Ordnance depot 1870. Garrisoned until

1919. Guardianship Monument. Area scheduled 23 February 1996.

References

Bibliography

N.S.A. Groome Inv. 303 (plans; ill.)

C. & D. Arch. III, pp.225-6 (plan; ill)

Historic Environment Scotland Properties

Blackness Castle

https://www.historicenvironment.scot/visit-a-place/places/blackness-castle

Find out more

Related Designations

  1. Blackness CastleSM90036

    Designation Type
    Scheduled Monument
    Status
    Designated

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLACKNESS CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/08/2019 00:14