Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23191 85931
323191, 685931


F T Pilkington, dated 1858. Linked pair of semi-detached, 2-storey and attic crowstepped, Free Gothic detailed houses. Stugged ashlar with polychrome detail and long and short quoins; raked base course, band courses, dentilled eaves cornice, mutuled windowhead cornices; architraved surrounds, pointed arch, tri-lobed and shouldered openings, continuous polychrome hoodmould, stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: No 6: recessed 2-storey entrance porch to left with wide timber door and plate glass fanlight in tri-lobed opening with flanking square columns and diamond detail capitals, diamond frieze above with window at 1st floor below chevron frieze. Advanced face (adjoining No 7 to right), with bipartite window at ground to left of centre with pointed windowheads, relieving arch detail and colonnette mullion with moulded base and capital with cross decoration; pointed window above at 1st floor and further crowstepped dormer window breaking eaves above. Corbelled angled oriel to left corner at 1st floor with 2-stage turret roof.

No 7 (adjoining No 6 to left): advanced bay to right of centre to both floors with bipartite window at ground and quadripartite window at 1st floor, both with narrow glazed returns, capital moulding to ground floor replaced mullion with flower carving, 1st floor mullions polychrome; pointed window above in crowstepped gable.

Nos 7 and 8: recessed linked entrance to right, granite column at centre with pointed-arch openings springing from foliate capital with date plaque above; deep-set timber doors with glazed fanlights; tri-lobed bipartite window at 1st floor with colonnette mullion and chevron frieze.

No 8 (adjoining No 9 to right); Piended shallow bow window to left of centre, 4-leaf at ground and 5-leaf above, colonnette mullions with moulded bases and decorative capitals to both floors. Crowstepped dormer window breaking eaves above.

No 9 (adjoining No 8 to left): 2 pointed windows at ground flanking dominant moulded console of corbelled 5-leaf oriel window at 1st floor, with colonnette mullions and decorated capitals; round-headed window above in crowstepped gable. Recessed entrance porch to right, granite column (as above) at centre, deep-set timber door with 8-leaf fanlight to left, blocked to right; tri-lobed bipartite window above with colonnette mullion and chevron frieze.

E ELEVATION: adjoining boundary wall on ground sloping to N. Ogee window at near-centre of ground floor (see Notes).

N ELEVATION: Nos 6 and 7: bipartite window to left, timber door with 2-leaf letterbox fanlight to right and further window to outer right over small basement window, steps up to wide timber door with plate glass fanlight in recessed entrance to right; 2 windows at 1st floor below lean-to dormer window to left and pitch-roofed dormer window to right. No 7 mirrors No 6.

Nos 7 and 8 recessed link: single wide arched opening with paired timber door below bipartite window.

Nos 8 and 9 repeat Nos 6 and 7 with the recessed entrance to No 9 converted to single part-glazed door and window (see Notes).

3-, 4-, 6- and 12-pane, and plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; leaded and coloured design in ogee window to E. Patterned purple slates, terracotta ridge tiles, ashlar coped skews, crowsteps and skewputts and coped ashlar stacks.

INTERIOR: Nos 6, 8 and 9. Wide timber doors with flanking lights and decorative frames, timber staircase and some decorative cornicing. All houses retain grey marble fireplaces. No 9 with interior ogee opening and panelling to window over cast-iron fireplace with no stack (see Notes).

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low coped rubble boundary walls to S, high coped rubble boundary walls to N, E and W. Decorative cast-iron railings and gates.

Statement of Special Interest

These four houses were built on Mrs Beatson's Land and stand on the line of the old town wall which was built during the reign of Charles I. The plans were exhibited at the RSA in 1863. Built by the owner's son, the project remained unfinished as, according to legend, the young man's fiancee left him, causing him to take his own life by hanging in one of these houses. This accounts for the incongruous placing of the ogee window above a fireplace and the double entrances to No 9.



Information courtesy of owners. Wood's PLAN OF BURNTISLAND (1824).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6-9 (INCLUSIVE NOS) BROOMHILL WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/05/2019 07:14