Bishop James Kyle and A and W Reid, architects, Elgin,
1850-57: chancel, alter and baptistry, C T Menart, architect,
Glasgow, 1907. Large Gothic church with twin towered W
front. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar dressings.
W FRONT: centre gable flanked by 2-stage squared towers
with set back buttresses, louvred plate traceried windows
in upper stage, angle pinnacles and tall facetted spires
with lucarnes at base. Central pointed-headed recessed
entrance with moulded reveals, nook shafts and trumeau;
paired cusped doorways wtih plank doors; blind quatrefoil
in tympanum. Large 4-light geometric traceried window above
fills centre gable. 5-bay aisled nave lit by triple
pointed-headed clerestory lights. Slightly lower chancel lit
by similar but longer triple lights in N and S elevations
with gable rose window at E. Gable end cross finials;
INTERIOR: richly decorated aisled interior; pointed-headed
aisle arcades supported by diamond plan piers. Multicoloured
marble inlay decorates chancel and reredos; pulpit with carved
Gothic wooden backboard and sounding board; plain marble dado
in nave. Stations of the Cross with carved wooden frames;
simple wooden pews; scissor brace roof. Ornate war memorial
at rear of church.
PRESBYTERY: 2-storey and attic, wide 2-bay house at NE
of church. Red sandstone, contrasting tooled ashlar
dressings. Slightly advanced gable bay with narrow shouldered
lintel to entrance with panelled door tripartite at left. 3
narrow 1st floor windows, single canted dormer. Multi-pane
glazing. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks; slate roof.
ENCLOSING WALLS AND GATEPIERS: church and presbystery
surrounded by high coped rubble wall. Church fronted by low
coped wall with spearhead railings with matching carriage
gates flanked by square gatepiers with simple caps
and plain overthrow.