There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 26/01/1971
- Local Authority: Moray
- Planning Authority: Moray
- Parish: Dyke And Moy
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NH 99003 58419
- Coordinates: 299003, 858419
CHURCH: James Smith (Nairn) and James Smith (Auldearn) with Colin Williamson, (extra contractor), 1781. Renovated 1952.
Rectangular church with symmetrical 6-bay S front elevation. Pinned rubble front, rubble flanks and rear; tooled and polished ashlar dressings. Wide square-headed entrances surmounted by tall round-headed keystoned windows in outer bays with 4 similar full length windows filling centre 4 bays; smaller gallery window in W gable only. All fenestration with blocked imposts, shutter hinges and multi-pane glazing.
Birdcage bellcote at W gable apex, ball finial at E. Slate roof with 2 ridge ventilators.
INTERIOR: original layout; gallery now ceiled. 3-decker pulpit in centre of S wall flanked by stairs with slender balusters (sounding board survives above present ceiling). 5-sided panelled gallery front with (1952) pews grouped around pulpit in ground floor and gallery. Entrance doors fitted with long iron hinges on inner face. 1613 tombstone re-set in SW entrance lobby; 1790 mural memorial under gallery.
CHURCH HALL: adapted from early-mid 18th century rectangular burial mausoleum, probably accommodated in earlier church aisle, linked to E gable of church by narrow corridor incorporating Gothic gabled porch (1855-60) presenting, with hall, a S facing irregular double gabled frontage. Tooled front, harl pointed rubble elsewhere with some re-used margins and ashlar dressings.
Mid 18th century, naive classical doorpiece flanked by engaged Ionic columns supporting entablature and extended bracketted cornice (possibly Colin Williamson of Dyke). Blind hoodmoulded Y-tracery window above doorpiece (probably re-used); later 19th century apex finial and skewputts at S; early 18th century run-off skewputts at rear.
3 narrow square-headed irregularly spaced windows in E elevation with chamfered or roll-moulded jambs, closed with iron bars and later lattice-pane glazing.
INTERIOR: mausoleum converted as hall and vestry (1948) and linked to church by corridor. 1446 tombstone set in vestry wall. Entrance via Gothic gabled porch closed.
BURIAL GROUND: dry stone walled burial ground surrounds church. 18th and 19th century tombstones.
WAR MEMORIAL GATE ARCH: Dr P MacGregor-Chalmers, 1921-22. Tooled rubble, tooled ashlar dressings; round-headed arch under gabled overthrow with apex cross and niche containing sword and laurel wreath. Short coped quadrants and double wooden gates. Inscribed plaques to dead of 1914-18 and 1939-45 flank gates.
Statement of Special Interest
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. 1613 tombstone in entrance lobby erected to Walter Kinnaird and Elizabeth Innes of Culbin. Inscribed 'The Builders of this Stane, Are Laird and Lady Coubine, Qhilk (which) twa and Thairs, When Braith is gone, pleise God, Vil sleep this bed within'.
Gabled porch flanking church hall contains memorial to Lt Col James Pattulo Brodie, died in Crimea (War) Sept 1855.
THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xx (1798), pp. 210-11.
NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xiii (1842), pp. 221-2.
FORRES GAZETTE 31 Oct 1866, (description of 1446 tombstone) 15 Feb 1922 (war memorial).
George Hay, THE ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTTISH POST-REFORMATION CHURCHES, 1600-1843 (1957), pp. 80, 186, 187.
A J Howat and M Seton, CHURCHES OF MORAY (1981), p. 18.
Various authors, DYKE CHURCH BI-CENTENERY BOOK (1981).
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.