Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KEIR STREET, BRIDGE OF ALLAN PARISH CHURCH (FORMERLY HOLY TRINITY PARISH CHURCH), CHURCH ROOMS, HALL AND BEADLE'S HOUSELB22656

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
03/08/1977
Supplementary Information Updated
31/05/2019
Local Authority
Stirling
Planning Authority
Stirling
Burgh
Bridge Of Allan
NGR
NS 79145 97345
Coordinates
279145, 697345

Description

1860 by James Henderson, twice enlarged later. Gothic, early pointed style, coursed rubble. Hall church with triple-transept treatment of the aisles, three stepped lancets each gable, central square fleche, porch at southeast: north gable front addition has plain splayed door flanked by lancets, rose window above, four-stage tower broached to octagonal at third stage, belfry fourth stage with shafted lancets, stone spire. Church rooms, gabled to south, 1895 by John Honeyman and Keppie, east-west aligned, buttressed hall with perpendicular traceried windows in gables and cross windows to north simple single storey three-bay house attached at west.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Built as a mission church under Logie Church in 1860, twice enlarged subsequently Became a Quoad Sacra Parish Church Hall, session house, library, vestry, waiting rooms and church officer's house opened 1895. John Honeyman & Keppie architects. Chalmers Church and Holy Trinity Church united in August 2003, now known as Bridge of Allan Parish Church.

Original listed building record (1977) stated that there were furnishings of note by Charles Rennie Mackintosh, 1904; pulpit, communion table and chairs, organ case and choir stalls. However, these have not been seen (2019) and Mackintosh Architecture (https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/) notes that as John Honeyman was a member of the church and was one of its trustees, it seems likely that he was personally responsible for the design of the new hall. There is nothing to suggest Mackintosh's involvement in the design, though he may have helped with the drawings as there are annotations in his hand on one of the surviving drawings (Mackintosh Architecture).

Charles Rennie Mackintosh (1868-1928) was born in Glasgow and is regarded internationally as one of the leading architects and designers of the 20th century. His reputation is as a pioneer of Modernism but his architecture took much inspiration from Scottish Baronial, and Scottish and English vernacular forms and their reinterpretation. The synthesis of modern and traditional forms led to a distinctive form of Scottish arts and crafts design, known as 'The Glasgow Style'. This was developed in collaboration with contemporaries Herbert McNair, and the sisters Francis and Margaret Macdonald (who would become his wife in 1900), who were known as 'The Four'. The Glasgow Style is now synonymous with Mackintosh and the City of Glasgow.

Mackintosh is associated with over 150 wide-ranging design projects including work with the practice of John Honeyman & Keppie (Honeyman, Keppie & Mackintosh from 1901). His most significant work, during this partnership was the Glasgow School of Art built in two phases from 1897 and culminating in the outstanding library of 1907. The German concept of 'Gesamtkunstwerk', meaning the 'synthesis of the arts' is something that Mackintosh applied completely to all of his work, from the exterior to the internal decorative scheme and the furniture and fittings. Other key examples of his work include the Willow Tea Rooms (LB33173), the Glasgow Herald Building (now The Lighthouse) (LB33087) and Hill House (LB34761).

Listed building record revised in 2019.

References

Bibliography

References:

Printed Sources

Brown, A (2018) Charles Rennie Mackintosh Making the Glasgow Style. Glasgow: Glasgow Museums.

Cooper, J. (editor) (1984) Mackintosh architecture: the complete buildings and selected projects. London: Academy.

Crawford, A (1995) Charles Rennie Mackintosh. London: Thomas and Hudson.

Howarth, T. (1977) Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.

McLean, E Bridge of Allan, Building News vol lxviii p655.

Neat, T. & McDermott, G. (2002) Closing The Circle Thomas Howarth, Mackintosh and the Modern Movement. Aberdour: Inyx publishing.

Robertson, P. (editor) (1990) Mackintosh: The Architectural Papers. Wendlebury: White Cockade Publishing.

(il). Courtesy of Buildings of Scotland Research Unit (1977).

Online Sources

Dictionary of Scottish Architects, Charles Rennie Mackintosh, http://www.scottisharchitects.org.uk/architect_full.php?id=200362 (accessed 30/05/2019).

University of Glasgow, Mackintosh Architecture, M080 Bridge of Allan Quoad Sacra Church hall, https://www.mackintosh-architecture.gla.ac.uk/catalogue/freetext/display/?rs=2&xml=int&q=holy%20trinity (accessed 31/05/2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KEIR STREET, BRIDGE OF ALLAN PARISH CHURCH (FORMERLY HOLY TRINITY PARISH CHURCH), CHURCH ROOMS, HALL AND BEADLE'S HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2022 14:36