Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BRODIE CASTLELB2260

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
26/01/1971
Local Authority
Moray
Planning Authority
Moray
Parish
Dyke And Moy
NGR
NH 97959 57775
Coordinates
297959, 857775

Description

Tower-house with Scottish Baronial alterations and additions. Substantial mansion dating variously from 1567 to 1852. Additions of 1824 by William Burn, completed by James Wylson, circa 1840-1852. Restored 1978-80. Mainly 3-storeys, roughly L-plan incorporating original 16th century Z-plan tower.

Harled with ashlar margins and dressings.

Main S elevation incorporates at W 1567 tower house with earlier 17th century addition; cap-house, crenellated corbelled wallhead, water spouts and decorative gablets to dormer windows. Entrance in re-entrant angle with projecting stair turret rising from 1st floor terminating with slender conical roof.

Gabled E portion of 1824-52 with wide 5-bay return E garden front with projecting outer gables. Hoodmoulded, mullioned and transomed fenestration, canted windows, shaped and crowstepped gables. 5-bay single storey and attic wing with similar fenestration extends at right angles at NE. Varied glazing; coped end, wallhead and ridge stacks; slate roof.

INTERIOR: entrance hall, James Wylson, circa 1845 adaption of earlier vaulted undercroft; stumpy (circa 1845) columns with foliated capitals; re-set inscribed stone plaques.

LIBRARY: circa 1845, lined with wooden bookcases under continuous egg and dart frieze.

BLUE SITTING ROOM: vaulted ceiling with embossed plaster motifs and strapwork of 1635-40.

RED DRAWING ROOM: originally 1st floor hall of 1567 castle re-decorated 1820's by William Burn; groined plaster ceiling; ornate panelled chimneypiece with carved figures rising to ceiling height.

DINING ROOM: former 1st floor hall of 17th century wing. Late 17th century heavily embossed ceiling, grained and stained circa 1825. Panelling and doors also grained.

DRAWING ROOM: William Burn, 1824 with painted decoration on architraves, over-doors and ceiling probably dating from 1860's (restored 1982).

BEST BED CHAMBER: 17th century plaster ceiling frieze and corner motifs.

Statement of Special Interest

1567 castle built by Alexander Brodie, 12th Brodie of Brodie, descended from Malcolm, Thane of Brodie (d.1285). Castle continuously in possession of Brodie family until handed over to National Trust for Scotland, by Ninian, 25th Brodie, in 1980 after purchase through Land Fund by SDD.

Celtic stone with cross and interlacing patterns, sited at E entrance of park, a Scheduled Monument (Rodney's Stone).

References

Bibliography

NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT xii (1842), p.221-2.

J and W Watson, MORAYSHIRE DESCRIBED (1868), pp.52-4.

MacGibbon and Ross, THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND iv (1892), pp.93-4.

Howard Colvin, A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1978), p.163.

Christopher Hartley and John Cornforth, 'Brodie Castle, Moray', COUNTRY LIFE, Aug. 7 and 14, 1980.

BRODIE CASTLE GUIDE BOOK, Nat. Trust for Scotland, (1983).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRODIE CASTLE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 21:59