Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NS 99853 81483
299853, 681483


George Washington Browne, 1901-4. 2-storey and basement shallow H-plan English Renaissance town hall and former library on sloping site with later addition. Grey ashlar with vermiculated rustication to raised and battered basement. Diocletian windows with keystones. Domed lantern, pair of clock towers. Eaves cornice and parapet with some balustrading. N & S elevations predominantly mirrored. Apsidal hall to W elevation.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to left, 5-light single storey and basement bowed window with balustraded parapet with engaged splayed flight of steps to right leading to timber 2-leaf entrance door in 3-bay section. To right, advanced section with Bo'ness coat of arms between ground and 1st floor. Far right part-obscured by modern yellow sandstone single storey and basement addition.

Octagonal copper domed lantern at junction with apse. Delicate pair of Adam-style small-domed clock towers to N and S elevations mark division of functions.

Timber windows, including predominantly 12 and 16-pane sash and case to ground floor with horns. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: columned entrance hall with black and white marble tiled floor with brass plaque, 'TOWN HALL PROVIDED BY THE TOWN COUNCIL OUT OF THE HARBOUR TRANSFER FUND CARNEGIE LIBRARY THE GIFT OF ANDREW CARNEGIE LLD OF SKIBO CASTLE SUTHERLANDSHIRE AND OF NEW YORK CITY VSA CLOCK AND TOWER THE GIFT OF GEORGE CADELL STEWART PROVOST OF THE BURGH 1894-1904 CHIME OF FIVE BELLS THE GIFT OF JAMES CHARLES CALDER TOWN COUNCILLOR 1900-1908'. Former library, pair of timber corniced screens with upper panels glazed with small leaded panes. Above, large function room with ceiling with wide undercut plaster circular wreath. Large hall with stage, galleried on 3 sides supported by cast-iron columns. Painted trompe l'oeil decoration with ship above stage with motto, 'SINE METU'.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: to N, squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with flat coping. To W, high rubble wall. To SE, pair of simple square gatepiers with squared and snecked bull-faced wall to E.

Statement of Special Interest

A large and imposing classical building on an elevated site overlooking the town centre. Andrew Carnegie gave £5000 to the cost of this £10000 building and it was opened by his representative, Hew Morrison, on 14th September 1904. The tower clocks were made by H & R Millar of Edinburgh and are similar to those at Robert Adam's Register House in Edinburgh. Local Bo'ness firms were involved in the construction: joiner and carpentry work by the Duguids, slating by Kilpatrick and painted decoration by Grant. An important part of the social history of Bo'ness.



Ordnance Survey Map (1913). W F Hendrie, BO'NESS IN OLD PICTURE POSTCARDS VOLUME II (1990) Nos 59 and 60. R Murray, BO'NESS - A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST (1995) p23. W F Hendrie, BO'NESS THE FAIR TOWN (1998) p42. R Jaques, FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001) p139. Gifford & Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p254.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STEWART AVENUE, TOWN HALL AND FORMER CARNEGIE LIBRARY INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2022 16:12