Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

13 SOUTH STREET, FORMER TOLBOOTHLB22394

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
22/02/1971
Local Authority
Falkirk
Planning Authority
Falkirk
Burgh
Bo'Ness
NGR
NS 99807 81650
Coordinates
299807, 681650

Description

Dated 1750, restored 1981 by William A Cadell Architects. 3-storey, 5-bay, L-plan former tolbooth converted to dwellings with shop at ground, closing irregular terrace to W. Harled with ashlar dressings and quoin strips. Cill and lintel courses to 1st floor, moulded eaves course. Roll-moulded doorpiece.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with 2-leaf panelled timber door and 4-part fanlight giving way to moulded panel carved with '1750' 'RB' 'EB', windows in flanking bays (those to left enlarged), chamfered angle to outer right, and regular fenestration to each floor above.

E (GIBSON'S WYND) ELEVATION: gabled elevation with 2 blocked windows at ground and small attic window; 3 small pall stones at ground.

N (NORTH STREET) ELEVATION: boarded timber door immediately to left of centre at ground with blocked window beyond to left, 2 windows to each floor above (those to left all enlarged); recessed bay to right with timber forestair under slated outshot roof; 3 Velux rooflights above.

12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows, and 9-pane glazing pattern in casement windows. Pantiles (1981). Coped ashlar stacks with cans; ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: 1st floor front rooms retain almost all original fielded panelling, heavy cornices and moulded stone chimney pieces. Room to right with partly-glazed cupboard with Gothick intersecting tracery. Moulded stone chimney piece to 2nd floor.

Statement of Special Interest

The survival of original glazing bars is of particular interest. The original listing describes 2 original asymmetrically placed brick wallhead stacks, sadly these have been removed. A carved stone dated 1647 (mentioned in earlier listing but not identified 2003) on the E gable is possibly imported from an earlier structure on the site. Bo'ness was created a Burgh of Regality in 1668 by the Duchess of Hamilton. Its charter states that all 'customs, tolls, anchorages, shore dues and others' were to go to the duchess or her heirs. The new tolbooth may have been needed to assist with collection of beer tax, as a 1744 Act levied a tax of 2d Scots as revenue for the upkeep of Bo'ness Harbour.

References

Bibliography

T J Salmon BORROWSTOUNESS AND DISTRICT (1913), p80. Gifford and Walker STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002), p267. Richard Jacques FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001), p135. Craig Mair MERCAT CROSS AND TOLBOOTH (1988), pp15,16. WWW.BO-NESS.ORG.UK/TRAILS.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 13 SOUTH STREET, FORMER TOLBOOTH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/01/2022 08:09