Mansion with 16th century core; re-built 1st Marquis Huntly,
1616. N elevation re-faced with extensive symmetrical re-
fenestration and other external alterations circa 1730;
further alterations during 19th century and after fire 1940.
Extensive repairs 1945 and (balustrade) 1979. 3-storey, 8-bay
central block, circa 1730 with earlier core, flanked by 2-
storey and attic 4-bay wings also incorporating earlier work.
Polished ashlar N facade; harl pointed rubble elsewhere with
N ELEVATION: low ground floor with small windows in centre
block; band course between ground and 1st floor; ashlar
quoins. Lugged architrave to centre door; classical doorpiece
dated 1730 with paired engaged Corinthian columns on plinths
supporting entablature and modillioned pediment. Secondary
entrance extreme right under reset coat of arms of Sir Robert
WINGS: 17th century corbelled conical roofed bartizans at
each angle. Mid-17th century coat of arms of Nova Scotia
inserted in 1st floor, W gable; mid-19th century gabletted
SOUTH ELEVATION: similar to N front but wings project forming
shallow U-plan; centre door with moulded lugged architrave
and rectangular vent above. Masonry scars, blocked windows at
ground floor and remains of vaulting all indicate unfinished alterations. 2 small oval windows, one in each outer bay,
between 1st and 2nd floors. Single gabletted dormer and
single scroll skewputt to each wing. Multi-pane glazing
throughout. Moulded corniced stacks to balustraded and flat
roofed main block; slate roof with stone ridge to wings.
INTERIOR: barrel vaulted passage runs full length of ground
floor; main rooms of centre block left unfinished after 1730 alterations, and refurbished during earlier/mid 19th century;
and again after fire circa 1945. Entrance hall panelled with
panelling re-used from former Drainie parish chruch (1821,
Gillespie Graham arch. dem.). Cantilevered stair with
wrought-iron balustrade from ground to 1st floor; some
corniced ceilings in flanking wings; re-used ashlar doorpiece
at 1st floor with owl in pediment.
ADJOINING GARDEN WALLS: high coped flanking garden walls
extend each side from wings, each with entrance close to
house decorated with re-used pediments, and at left with re-
used overmantel dated 1679.
WATER TOWER: mid 18th century, small freestanding water
tower with round-headed door in W side. Rubble with ashlar
dressings and band course; pyramidal slate roof with stone
ball finial and weather vane. Re-built projecting length of
wall at W.
Statement of Special Interest
Known as Bog of Plewlands until changed to Gordonstoun
1642 by Sir Robert Gordon of Gordonstoun. Owned by Ogstouns
during 15th century; Innes' of Innermarkie and Innes 1473-
1616; George, Marquis of Huntly 1616-1638. Purchased by Sir
Robert Gordon, 'Tutor' of Sutherland, 1638. Passed to Cumming
Gordon (later Gordon Cumming) family of Altyre, Forres, 1795.
Became Gordonstoun School 1934. Damaged by fire in 1940.
Mansarded 4th storey behind balustrade never re-built
after this fire. Re-used overmantel dated 1679 in garden wall
said to have come from one of the demolished Elgin Cathedral
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.