Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 01899 81281
301899, 681281


P MacGregor Chalmers, 1908-09. Simple Romanesque church with imposing 4-stage square tower to W and domestic Baronial details. Aisled nave with clerestory, chancel and apse. Session house with Baronial stair-turret to SE. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Base course to tower. Round-headed windows, predominantly chamfered openings.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation with slightly tapered advanced tower flanked by gable of nave and recessed lower north and south aisles. Round-arched entrance flanked by receding triple cluster of engaged columns with scalloped capitals surmounted by dogtooth ornament and Romanesque carving. Tower stages separated by string courses, some machicolation at eaves course, pyramidal roof. Stages 3 and 4 mirrored on all elevations.

N ELEVATION: off-centre roll-moulded round-arched shallow entrance porch to left of 3-bay low north aisle. Clerestory above. Taller, advanced, gabled 3-bay baptistry chapel to left with tall paired windows.

S ELEVATION: to right 2-bay gable of session house with stair turret to left. To left advanced low 5-bay south aisle with clerestory above. Entrance door in re-entrant angle.

To W 2-leaf 4-panel timber door with small leaded panes to upper panels, leaded fanlight above. 3rd and 4th tower stages have paired roll-moulded windows with raised imposts and central column. W gable ends of N and S aisles have bipartite windows set in ashlar round-arched recesses. Excepting stained glass, windows predominantly glazed with small leaded panes, some with top hoppers. Graded grey slates. Gable end stack to Session House. Seemingly random carved scripture panels and crosses to exterior and interior.

INTERIOR: timber and leaded glass entrance screen to W. 6-bay nave with round-arched arcade, articulated by nook shafts, supported by circular ashlar columns and clerestory with open barrel-vaulted timber ceiling with stone corbels. Cill course to clerestory. All capitals different. Predominantly squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with ashlar dressings. Chancel apse with blind arcading to ground, stained glass, corbel table and rib-vaulting. Capitals at entrance to apse depict the New Testament. To NE baptistry chapel apse with recently restored contemporary ceiling painting, entered through chevroned arch. Circular stone font. En suite square oak pulpit, communion table, and lectern with blind arcading and Romanesque details. Plain timber pews. Good quality ironwork goods to interior. Various stained glass windows: St George, Christ - Alpha and Omega, and St James in Chancel apse. St Andrew and St Margaret by A C Whalen, circa 1974. Double window in north aisle by G Young, Johnston & Bennet, Glasgow,1948. St Leonard and St Cecilia by Roland Milton, c2000.

GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: gabled stone gate piers to W. Squared and snecked bull-faced stepped sandstone boundary wall to W. To E stepped coursed rubble wall with semicircular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The organ came from the John Knox Church in the Gorbals in Glasgow and was installed in 1943.

Built to accommodate an expanding congregation, Carriden Parish Church sits next to its ruinous predecessor, the 1766 Carriden Old Church (see separate list description) which was in turn the replacement for a church which once stood at Carriden House (see separate listing). It is an excellent example of simple Romanesque with humanising secular Scottish Baronial touches and is proof of Macgregor Chalmers great skill as a church architect. The sounding board and pieces of the canopy were incorporated into the new church as was the Dutch 1674 Pieter Oostens bell. The foundation stone was laid by the Duke of Hamilton. Suspended from the ceiling is a model of the ship, Ranger, which belonged to the Carriden Sea Box Society.



Ordnance Survey map (1913). R Murray, BO'NESS - A GLIMPSE OF THE PAST (1995) p30. W F Hendrie, BO'NESS THE FAIR TOWN (1998) p51. R Jaques, FALKIRK AND DISTRICT (2001) p152-3. Gifford & Walker, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - STIRLING AND CENTRAL SCOTLAND (2002) p309-10.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CARRIDEN BRAE, CARRIDEN PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING GATE PIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 16:21