Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

WELLMEADOW GARDENS, WAR MEMORIALLB22321

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
09/06/1981
Supplementary Information Updated
04/09/2003
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Burgh
Blairgowrie And Rattray
NGR
NO 17991 45220
Coordinates
317991, 745220

Description

Reginald Fairlie, 1920. A Carrick, sculptor. 3-stage, pelican-finialled, octagonal WWI memorial with 2-stage WWII memorial. Ashlar.

WWI MEMORIAL: 7 octagonal steps lead to square base and tall plinth with inset bronze panels, to NE with 'BLAIRGOWRIE AND RATTRAY ROLL OF HONOUR', names continued on panels to NW and SW. Stepped 2nd stage with relief carved '1914 - 1919' giving way to carved cross with wreath at SE, and reduced 3rd stage with tapering octagonal shaft and cushion capital carved with thistle and regimental emblems surmounted by pelican with upraised wings.

WWII MEMORIAL: low square plinth projecting from base of WWI memorial at SE steps. Bronze panels with roll of honour to each face, surmounted by continuous ribbon frieze worded 'ALSO IN THE' 'SECOND WORLD WAR' '1939 - 1945', and surmounted by full-size bronze figure of mourning soldier. Further inscription at base worded 'KOREAN WAR 1950-53'

Statement of Special Interest

St Ninian's well was sited at the Wellmeadow, now a popular memorial garden situated close to Blairgowrie Bridge over the River Ericht. To the southern corner of the garden is the base of a very elaborate memorial (damaged in a traffic accident), inscribed "In memory of Allan Macpherson of Blairgowrie who entered into rest 6th November, 1891 aged 75".

References

Bibliography

P Nuttgens REGINALD FAIRLIE (1959). J Macdonald HISTORY OF BLAIRGOWRIE (1899).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to WELLMEADOW GARDENS, WAR MEMORIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 16/06/2019 10:49