James Adam, 1767, with later additions to lodges. Pedimented
polished ashlar triumphal arch supported by fluted Roman
Ionic columns linked to flanking gate lodges by simple harled
screen walls pierced by single pedestrian entrances each side.
Central round-headed archway with corniced fluted impost
blocks, moulded arch ring and with patera in each spandrel;
entablature with festooned and swagged frieze; earl's coronet
with S in tympanum of pediment surmounted by lion rampant with
single recumbant lion on each outer edge.
Bracketted corniced pedestrian entrances with moulded and
acanthus detailed jambs.
Corniced blocking course to screen wall, raised and swagged
above pedestrian entrances.
GATES: Pair spearheaded cast-iron carriage gates with Greek key
pattern band and scallop decoration; matching single gates
close pedestrian entrances.
GATE LODGES: advanced single storey, 3-bay flanking gate
lodges, each with centre doorway on S side of linking screen
wall; each lodge with later rear additions and each with later dormerheads breaking wallhead. Harled, ashlar margins and
dressings. Deep corniced eaves band broken by later piended
dormers; 9 and 12-pane glazing. Coped ridge and wallhead stacks
(some later wallhead stacks in brick); slightly bellcast slate