Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
NS 97432 68855
297432, 668855


J Graham Fairley, 1904. Early English church with campanile and en suite 2-storey church halls. Bull-faced, squared and snecked, red sandstone with ashlar dressing; base course; pointed arch openings; battered angle buttresses with gablet caps. Hoodmoulds with block label stops to principal elevations.

E (George Street) elevation: gabled elevation. Door in pointed arch panel at centre; chamfered reveals with nook-shaft capitals; panel head with dogtooth ornament and vesica; recessed porch with 2-leaf wrought-iron gates; lead-paned panels to 2-leaf inner doors. Narrow window with blinded head flanking each side. Stepped 4-light window above with chamfered reveals. String course below gablehead, framed,

louvred vesica and stone cross finial. Tower to left linked by low 2-storey narrow bay.

Tower: north Italian campanile style. Square section tower with deep

battered base course, angle pilasters and ashlar strips; narrow louvred vents and small paired stair windows to street; 4-light pointed arch arcade to each face of bell chamber; Italianate shaped angle dies to parapet with shaped centre panel; towerhead recessed 3-light arcades

and corner dies breaking eaves of piended roof capped by ogival,

polygonal cap with cockerel weathervane finial.

Nave: bipartite windows to clerestorey and to ground to S.

Square-pane leaded windows with coloured border glazing (stained glass,

see interior). Grey slate roof.

Interior: chimneypiece in vestibule. 6-bay nave, arcaded with pointed arches with chamfered arrises clerestorey cill course jumping capitalled nook shafts as annulets; gallery to S aisle. Gothic

detailed red sandstone ashlar communion table with carved panel, en

suite with blind arcaded, octagonal pulpit and octagonal font on shaft with contrasting colonnettes. Open timber roof with corbels rising from nook shafts. Stained glass by William Wilson, 1954 in chancel window, SS Columba, Andrew and Ninian, with panels showing local industries.

Church halls: 2-storey, T-plan, advanced to E, at N of church. Gabled

block at right angles with 3-bay elevation to street comprised of deeply chamfered door at centre, square-headed bipartites flanking at ground, pointed arch bipartite at centre at 1st floor and single pointed arch windows flanking. Corner pilasters breaking eaves as angle parapets. S gable with 2 square-headed windows at ground and stepped 3-light window in pointed arch panel above; ventilation slit at

apex. Further hall extending behind with rooflights.

Interior: Upper hall to rear with decorative open timber roof, canted

timber gallery and oculus, columned arcade. Boarded and coombed roof to upper hall to front block.

Boundary walls: to E, bull-faced squared and snecked sandstone with

gablet coping, swept up to square piers at intervals and to main and side gates, piers with swept, stylised, or shallow dome caps; walls canted in to main entrance. Wrought-iron gates.

Statement of Special Interest

J Graham Fairley contributed many significant and singular buildings to the landscape of the Lothians; see also church at Blackridge, Broxburn and Uphall and the Linlithgow Academy.



C McWilliam Lothian (1978) pp45, 96. Academy Architecture (1904) vol 1, p61.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GEORGE STREET, ST DAVID'S CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) WITH BELL TOWER, CHURCH HALLS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2019 19:02