Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

34 NEW BRIDGE STREET AND 2, 2A ACADEMY STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB21700

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
10/01/1980
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Ayr
NGR
NS 33658 22081
Coordinates
233658, 622081

Description

Thomas Hamilton, 1832. Pedimented 2-storey, 5-bay near square-plan Greek Revival former bank. Polished ashlar to SE elevation; channelled at ground floor; coursed sandstone to SW elevation. Base course; dividing band course; dentilled cornice; recessed pediment. Fluted Ionic colonnade dividing bays at 1st floor; double pilasters to outer bays rising through cornice to form corniced corner dies. Panelled aprons to 1st floor windows at SE elevation.

SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: central square-headed moulded doorpiece; 2-leaf timber door within; flanking single windows. Regular fenestration at 1st floor. Lunette to pediment.

SW (ACADEMY STREET) ELEVATION: 3-bay. 2 entrances at ground to centre and right; timber door to centre, 2-leaf timber door to right; central single stair window with cill course; 3 single windows at 1st floor, outer bays blind.

12-pane timber sash and case windows at ground to SE elevation and to SW elevation; 6-pane to upper sashes, 3-pane to upper section of lower sashes to SE elevation. Grey slate roof; polygonal corniced wallhead stacks; circular cans.

INTERIOR: timber door surrounds; deep, stepped ceiling cornice to ground floor office. Decorative balusters and timber handrail to curved staircase in flatted accommodation.

BOUNDARY WALL: high coped rubble wall enclosing site to NW; square opening and square-headed entrance within.

Statement of Special Interest

Opened as the Ayrshire Bank, founded by Quintin Kennedy. By 1830, Hamilton was a favourably recognised architect in the area with his work including the Town Hall and the Burns Monument in Alloway (see separate list descriptions). In 1845, the bank was taken over by the Western Bank of Scotland.

References

Bibliography

John Wood's Plan of Ayr, 1818 (earlier structure evident), Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident); AYR OBSERVER, 22.5.1832; AYR ADVERTISER, 4.3.1858 (information courtesy of Robert Close); M Glendinning, R MacInnes and A MacKechnie A HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), p571; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p13.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 34 NEW BRIDGE STREET AND 2, 2A ACADEMY STREET INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 09:01