There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 10/01/1980
- Local Authority: South Ayrshire
- Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
- Burgh: Ayr
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NS 33661 22149
- Coordinates: 233661, 622149
Circa 1513, N wing added 1534, with later alterations; refurbished Robert Hurd, 1952-7; refurbished ARP, Lorimer and Associates, 1997/8. 2-storey and attic, L-plan house. Rubble built.
SE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: square-headed entrance to timber door to right of N wing section; 2 pairs of stair windows to boarded bay to left. Single windows to left at 1st and attic floors to gablehead of original section.
NE (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank gablehead to N wing section; oak balcony frame to 1st and attic floors to outer left; 2 timber doors to both floors; relieving arches to 2 off-centre timber doors at ground floor; flanking single windows; relieving arches to 2 single windows at 1st floor to hall; relieving arch to right.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: single window at ground floor; 2 single windows at 1st floor; 2-light dormer at attic to N wing section. 2 single windows at ground floor; single window at 1st floor; 2 single windows at attic to original (higher) section.
Timber boarded and leaded windows; glass block openings. Grey slate roof; rooflights; stone skews; coped gablehead stacks; circular cans.
INTERIOR: barrel-vaulted storage rooms at ground floor; narrow stair from original section leads to the main hall on the 1st floor (Original main access stair, disappeared in subsequent alterations); new non-combustible metal staircase to entrance in North wing. Great fireplace to SE of main hall at 1st floor; moulded stone shafts; ogee-shaped aumbrie to NW elevation; high windows; timber panelled entrances; panel above the fireplace dated 1665, bears the arms of the Kings of Scotland, England, France and Ireland (formerly hung in the Newton-on-Ayr Town House, demolished 1967). Attic floor rooms, previously quarters for servants.
Statement of Special Interest
Built circa 1513 by James Tait, a wealthy burgess of Ayr. Between 1528 and 1539, ownership passed to Sir Hugh Campbell of Loudoun, Sheriff of Ayr, and subsequently sold to the Crown for 14,000 merks in 1622. Circa 1633, the office was granted to James Chalmers of Gadgirth, who represented Ayr in the Scottish Parliament from 1628-1633. Loudoun Hall was then sold by James Chalmers' son in 1666 to John Muir of Park, Provost of Ayr. Following 1700, there were numerous owners, in part due to increasing deterioration of the building. Finally, its owners ceased to inhabit it and it became a slum, rescued from slum clearance in the twentieth century by the Marquess of Bute, restored 1948 by the architect Robert Hurd, who gave his services for free. Hurd's alterations included the removal of an 18th century staircase tower, and the erection of a new staircase, made from the materials of an oak stair removed from Culzean Castle, and originally made from the timbers of the third Marquess of Ailsa's yacht, Marquesa (recently removed). An architectural model of the Hall stands to the entrance of Boat Vennal, off New Bridge Street. Loudoun Hall is not only the oldest house in Ayr, but provides an outstanding example of one of Scotland's few surviving examples of domestic burgh architecture of the 16th century. Re-landscaped Loudoun Hall boundary wall and forecourt, a collaboration between architects Reiach and Hall, and artists Gordon Young and Louice Lusby Taylor. Recent building restoration work by ARP, Lorimer and Associates.
John Wood's Plan of Ayr, 1818 (evident); James Paterson HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF AYR, Vol 1 (1847), p177; James Fergusson "Loudoun Hall and its Owners" in AYRSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS, Vol 1 (1947-1949), pp55-64; THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1951), p534; AYR, PRESTWICK AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL GUIDE (1967), pp 18- 20; Ronald Brash and Allan Leach ROUND OLD AYR (1972), (unmarked pages); Robert Gourlay and Anne Turner HISTORIC AYR: The Archaeological Implications of Development (1977), p12; John Strawhorn and Ken Andrew DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE (1988), p102; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p12; R & J Kennedy OLD AYR (1992), p36.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.