Earlier 18th century (7-bay central section); pavilions, screen walls and bow to rear, circa 1770; porch, possibly WH Playfair, circa 1837; later alterations and major restoration by Robert McPhail, 1997. Palladian country house. 2-storey, attic and basement corps-de-logis; basement and ground floor quadrant links; 2-storey wings. Coursed sandstone rubble; ashlar dressings; raised quoins. Eaves course; cornice; blocking course; band course dividing basement and ground floor to N elevation of main 7-bay block; cill courses to 3-bay bow to S.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: square entrance pavilion porch; coupled column pedimented portico of unfluted Greek Doric columns with mutuled cornice; 2-leaf timber door; balustraded parapet; urns to corner angles. Single window to outer returns; bipartite window to lower balustraded section to return to right; single window to return to left; single window at basement and ground floor to inner return to left (flat-roofed section at basement); 2 single windows at basement and single window at ground floor to inner return to right. Advanced and pedimented 3 central bays to 7-bay corps-de-logis; regular fenestration at basement, ground and 1st floor (basement window to left of entrance porch forms flat-roofed section); glazed timber door to inner bay to left at basement; round-arched attic window to pediment. 3-bay quadrant, basement and ground floor links; central bay blind; regular fenestration with steps leading to glazed timber doors at 1st floor to outer bays. Regular fenestration to 3-bay returns to wings; central bay blind (blind outer bays at basement to right; blind basement bay to outer left to bay to left). Regular 3-bay fenestration to wings (blind basement bay to wing to right). Additional 2-storey wing to left; glazed timber door to outer left, single window to right; regular fenestration above. 2-bay recessed single storey wing to outer left; blind opening to right, round-arched narrow opening to left.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: round-arched narrow opening to single storey section.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay blind openings at basement and ground floor to wing.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: (exposed basement). Central 3-bay bow; glazed timber door at centre; split letterbox fanlight; flanking single windows; regular fenestration at ground and 1st floor; ball finials to narrow parapet flanking bow. 2 windows flanking at basement, ground and 1st floor to main block. 2 single windows at basement and ground floor to lower linking section to left. Regular fenestration to 4-bay return (glazed timber door and letterbox fanlight to penultimate bay to right). 3-bay quadrant link; entrance to left; single window above; regular fenestration to bay to right; roundel opening to centre. Single windows to central and bay to left of 3-bay wing. Single window to single storey section to right of main block. Regular fenestration to 5-bay quadrant link (timber door to outer right). Regular fenestration to 4-bay double wing (glazed timber door to penultimate bay to left). Single window to return to right; timber door and garage door to single storey section to outer right.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Piended slate roof with lead ridges. Corniced wallhead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: fireplaces to rooms include timber, composition and marble examples, with notable tiled surrounds. Moulded balusters and timber handrail to main staircase. Decorative ceiling plasterwork and cornices to principal rooms; several vaulted basement rooms.
SCREEN WALL: balustraded screen wall to entrance elevation.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with 2 Craigie Avenue and 14 Craigie Road (see separate listings). Built for the Wallaces of Craigie, the estate was purchased by William Campbell in 1783. Excellent example of 18th century mansion architecture, overlooking the River Ayr. Probably originally harled. Of particular note are the Greek Doric entrance porch, circa 1837 (attributed to WH Playfair) with its long, corridor hall and the fine interior plasterwork and fireplaces. In a letter from WH Playfair to Captain Rutherford, Playfair writes, "I am under an engagement to visit James Campbell at Craigie, who wants my advice about his house." Major restoration work carried out in 1997 by the architect Robert McPhail. Currently in use as Ayrshire Management Centre.
Ordnance Survey map, 1858 (evident) (addition to right evident on Ordnance Survey map, 1896); National Library of Scotland manuscript, 18/8/1836 (MS 9704/5); FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol II (1882), p295; D MacGibbon and T Ross THE CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND, Vol II (1887-92), p596; John Strawhorn THE HISTORY OF AYR (1989), pp98, 189, 239; Michael C Davis THE CASTLES AND MANSIONS OF AYRSHIRE (1991), pp35-37, 218; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), pp33-4; NMRS Photographic Archive (A5357).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CRAIGIE, AYRSHIRE MANAGEMENT CENTRE, INCLUDING SCREEN WALL
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 12/12/2018 18:28