Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
NS 33859 22113
233859, 622113


1470-1525; numerous repairs in 16th and 17th centuries; restored James Morris and WS Wilson 1907-10. Coursed, squared sandstone hogback bridge; stepped coping. 4 segmental stone arches; voussoirs; cutwaters; curved wingwalls; lamp standards to parapet.

Statement of Special Interest

De-scheduled 11.12.1998. In his poem 'The Brigs of Ayr' Robert Burns correctly forecasted that the Auld Brig would outlast the New Bridge (see separate list description) standing approximately 500 yards apart. In the early 20th century a vigorous campaign was launched for its repair, Lord Rosebery lamenting in an address, "Why, sir, the great millionaires of the world, who spend their substance in giving thousands for manuscript copies of his [Robert Burns'] poems, they would give hundreds of thousands for a shake of his hand, or for the sound of his voice, and yet we cannot raise ?10,000, now that he is dead, to save the object on which his heart was set." Auld Brig was substantially repaired in 1907-10 and is still in current use as a pedestrian crossing to the town. Photographs of the Brig's repair can be found in NMRS Photographic Library, taken by John B Lawson in 1907 (AY/1704-1729). The authors of HISTORIC AYR suggest a nearby ford, provided access to the High Street prior to the erection of the Auld Brig.



Armstrong's Plan of the Town of Ayr, 1775 (SRO RPH 2553) (evident); James Paterson HISTORY OF THE COUNTY OF AYR, Vol 1 (1847), p179; F H Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND (1892, 2nd edition), p98; ADDRESS BY THE RIGHT HON. THE EARL OF ROSEBERY KG KT ON BEHALF OF THE FUND FOR THE PRESERVATION OF THE AULD BRIG O'AYR (1906); James A Morris THE BRIG OF AYR AND SOMETHING OF ITS STORY (1912); THE THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND: AYRSHIRE (1951), p533; "Ancient Monuments in Ayrshire" in AYRSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS, Vol 4 (1955-1957) pp236-8; AYR, PRESTWICK AND DISTRICT HISTORICAL GUIDE (1967), p15; Ronald Brash and Allan Leach ROUND OLD AYR (1972) (unmarked pages); William Dodd "Ayr: A Study of Urban Growth" in AYRSHIRE ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND NATURAL HISTORY COLLECTIONS, Vol 10 (1972), pp 331, 351, 358; Robert Gourlay & Anne Turner HISTORIC AYR: THE ARCHAEOLOGICAL IMPLICATIONS OF DEVELOPMENT (1977), p8; Eric de Mare BRIDGES OF BRITAIN (1987, 3rd edition), p131; John Strawhorn & Ken Andrew DISCOVERING AYRSHIRE (1988), p101; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p14; R & J Kennedy OLD AYR (1992), pp 4, 33; Dane Love PICTORIAL HISTORY OF AYR (1995), pp10, 12, 25; NMRS Photographic Archive (AY/2349, AY/1704-1729).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to AULD BRIG OVER RIVER AYR, INCLUDING LAMP STANDARDS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 03:19