1757, extended 1808, with later alterations. Single storey, 7-bay, near rectangular-plan (slightly curved) thatched cottage. Clay-bonded walls, harled and whitewashed.
Southeast (entrance, Alloway) elevation: square-headed timber entrances to 2nd, 5th and 6th bays; square-headed window openings to remaining bays with timber shutters, with exception of narrow opening to outer right.
Northwest (rear) elevation: 5-bay. Timber door to penultimate bay to left; flanking single arrowslit openings; single window to penultimate bay to right; small square opening to outer right.
Southwest (side) elevation: recessed timber entrance door to outer right of gabled elevation.
Northeast (side) elevation: narrow central slit opening to gabled elevation. Timber sash and case windows; timber shutters to Alloway. Reed-roofing; deep coping; gablehead and ridge coped stacks.
Interior: reconstruction of original uses. Barn to north, used for threshing and storage. Adjacent byre, used as living space for animals, cattle, pony and sometimes sheep and goats; also used by hens and cats which had free-run of cottage. Adjacent North Room - some doubt concerning the use of this room - probably small byre, converted to combined store/milkhouse with additional sleeping space after William Burnes extended cottage. Kitchen stands to south; parts of boxbed and perhaps dresser shelves and doors, original. Stone floors and fireplaces.
Boundary Wall: stone walling to northwest of cottage.
Statement of Special Interest
The birthplace of Robert Burns (1759-1796), Ayrshire s foremost poet and satirist. The south section of the cottage, the kitchen and a small byre were built by William Burnes before his marriage, and the present byre and barn after this occasion. Subsequently an alehouse, the building remained so until 1880 when it was acquired and restored by the Burns Monument Trustees. Copies of prints held at the National Monuments Record of Scotland show the cottage prior to its 1808 extension.
Description updated in 2017.