Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NOS. 129 - 133 & 141 HIGH STREET, ROYAL HOTELLB21163

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - See Notes
Date Added
11/10/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Burgh
Arbroath
NGR
NO 64377 40947
Coordinates
364377, 740947

Description

Mid 19th century. Well-detailed 3-storey and attic, 7-bay, terraced Renaissance former hotel with alternate consoled triangular and segmental pediments to 1st floor windows, centre linked wallhead stack, and 2 early shop fronts and modern entrance to bingo hall probably altered by Gordon and Scrymegour of Dundee, 1930 (see Notes). Painted ashlar with quoin strips and raised margins. Ground floor cornice over shops, 1st and 2nd floor cill courses, 1st floor over narrow panelled aprons and 2nd floor bracketted, dentilled eaves cornice.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: broad bingo hall entrance to left at ground with closely aligned pair of 2-bay shops at right, regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors, and centre stack flanked by set-back canted dormer windows.

4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans.

Statement of Special Interest

The Royal Hotel is an important integral part of Arbroath's High Street. Its Classical detailing is of high quality and it has further interest as it incorporates an early cinema, now a bingo hall. The cinema was opened in 1930 and converted for bingo during the 1970s, the cinema originally seated 1036, and is located to the rear of the Royal Hotel. It is accessed through the current (2008) bingo hall entrance. The cinema conversion was almost certainly carried out by Gordon and Scrymegour of 7 Ward Road, Dundee. A plan by Gordon and Scrymegour and dated 19 August 1930 has similarities in layout, particularly with the long foyer, to the plan of The New Picture House at St Andrews in Fife, by Gillespie and Scott, 1931.

List description including References and Notes updated as part of Cinemas Thematic Study 2007-08.

B-Group with other items on High Street and items 55A, 56, 57, 58, 59 and 60.

References

Bibliography

Further information courtesy of Cinema Theatre Association www.scottishcinemas.org.uk (accessed 12.02.08). St Andrews University Library, Gillespie and Scott Drawings (Bundle 2071).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NOS. 129 - 133 & 141 HIGH STREET, ROYAL HOTEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 27/05/2019 02:10