Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NO 63947 41474
363947, 741474


1852 power loom linen weaving factory, ashlar and squared rubble-built. Slate roofs, Windows multi-paned sash and case, mostly now blocked.

1. 4-storey 13-bay triple-pedimented Palladian frontage, pedimented sections slightly advanced and defined by quoins. 3-bay gables with die finials (one missing). Central arched entrance. Rear very plain and with few windows. Ground floor weaving shed adjoined to E (demolished 1998).

Interior fireproof iron frame of two rows of columns carrying cast iron beams and brick arched ceilings. Wrought iron roof. Two ashlar stairs with iron handrails at top.

2. Long 2-storey wing with end gable stack, served as lodge, office mechanics shop and preparing depts, with boiler house and drying room nearest river. This has a tall square chimney with Doric base supporting a circular brick shaft. Top cornice missing.

3. Beam Engine house, large 4-part window in W gable with die finial. N elevation adjoined weaving shed. Interior part cast iron grid mezzanine at level of beam of beam engine, ceiling hook for hoisting beam, cast iron stair.

4. Wall to River Brothock pierced at regular intervals by cast iron brackets and surrounds for line shaft bevel gearing. Weaving shed kingpost roofs removed 1998.

Statement of Special Interest

Andrew Lowson (1813-1897 a "striking and loveable person") was by 1864 easily the most important manufacturer in Arbroath, having twice the horse power at his disposal and twice as many employees as the nearest competitor. Following Lowson's death, and injudicious overseas investments by his sons, all eight of his mills were put up for sale. In 1905 only one of the six mills was at work, and in 1948 the firm wound up.

Thereafter Baltic Works had a new lease of life as a whisky bond that ceased c.1990.

In Angus the surviving fireproof mills are (2003) one in Brechin (East Mill, 1837), and three in Arbroath, (Baltic, 1852, and Alma Works 1857, and Brothock Mill/ Arbroath Herald, later part built c1890). The form of roof and advanced quoined bays suggest familiarity with the Alexander Thread Mill, Duke Street Glasgow, by the architect Charles Wilson (1849) and Tay Works and Edward Street Mill, Dundee (both 1851).

Upgraded B to A, October 2003.



WHK Turner, The Textile Industry of Arbroath since the Early 18th century, Abertay Historical Society, (1954)

AJ Warden, The Linen Trade Ancient and Modern (Dundee, 1864) Antony Slaven and Sydney Checkland, Eds, Dictionary of Scottish Business Biography 1860-1960 (Aberdeen, 1986) 367-369.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DENS ROAD, BALTIC WORKS (FORMER ARBROATH WAREHOUSE LIMITED BOND NUMBER 1)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 06/06/2020 08:12