Style of Walter Newall, circa 1840. 2-storey bank and
manager's house terminating view S along Bank Street.
Classical details; rusticated low banking office added to N
probably late in 19th century.
All red ashlar.
ORIGINAL BUILDING: square-plan; 3-bay elevations, main (E)
entrance elevation with square-columned central porch (N
elevation - to bank office - originally treated similarly);
bipartites in chunky moulded architraves (aproned and
corniced at ground) with lying-pane glazing.
Similar detailing continued to all elevations, including 1st
floor cill band, wide angle margins, eaves course and
cornice. Stacks with grouped octagonal flues; piended slate
INTERIOR: Some Greek revival detailing; good central stair
lit by cupola and with cast-iron balustrade;
well-proportioned friezes and cornices; marble chimney pieces
arranged with pilasters supporting entablature. Cellar partly
2 corniced square gatepiers. Walled garden, iron-railed at
BANKING OFFICE: (now solicitors office, 27 Bank Street).
Balustraded 3-bay N elevation with 2 Burlington windows
flanking similarly detailed door; bowed and channelled E end.
INTERIOR: apsidal entrance hall, doors in heavy timber door
cases; good cornice and ceiling plasterwork.