Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BANK STREET, THE TOWNHOUSELB20926

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
04/03/1971
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Burgh
Airdrie
NGR
NS 76150 65488
Coordinates
276150, 665488

Description

Alexander Baird, 1826. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, symmetrical classical town-house with entrance tower. Yellow sandstone ashlar to principal elevation, channelled at ground floor, harled to sides and rear. Base course, slightly raised eaves course, plain projecting cornice, blocking course.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: regular fenestration, cavetto moulded architraves to windows, projecting cills and projecting lintels to 1st floor, full-height pilasters to outer bays, coped blocks breaking eaves. Slightly advanced, 6-stage square-plan, entrance tower to centre, projecting cornices between stages; central doorway framed by paired engaged Tuscan columns on raised plinths supporting projecting entablature, single window over entrance to 2nd stage; triple stepped 3rd stage; engaged Tuscan columns to corners of 4th stage, pedimented windows to centre; 2-steps to 5th stage, pilasters to chamfered corners, clock-faces within square surrounds; semicircular arched openings to 6th stage belfry, flanking columns supporting entablatures; copper, octagonal spire.

E (REAR) ELEVATIONS: 1948. 2-storey, 5-bay, rectangular plan addition. Harled, regular fenestration with projecting margins.

N (SIDE) ELEVATION: 5-bay, regular fenestration, projecting margins to windows.

S (SIDE) ELEVATION: mirror of N.

12-pane sash and case windows. Hipped roof, grey slates, lead flashing. Coped wallhead stacks.

INTERIOR: modern office interiors.

Statement of Special Interest

The decision to build 'a small Town House and a jail' in Airdrie was taken in 1822, a year after the town had become a burgh of barony. Previously, courts and council meetings had been held in the Masonic lodge. Following a dispute between the Town Council and local Heritors regarding the site first proposed, the present building was begun in June 1825 and completed eighteen months later to the design of Baird, the burgh treasurer. His plans were chosen preference to those of George Waddell, a former councillor, and the contract for ?1075 was awarded to James Orr, who was also a member of the council as were the three unsuccessful tenders. To celebrate the official opening of the town-house the town crier, George Gentles, was provided with a new blue coat with red collar. A further public subscription allowed the addition in 1828 of a bell cast by Stephen Miller, Glasgow, and a clock which was replaced in 1954. A new council chamber was added to the rear of the building in 1948, doubling the depth. When built the town-house had a police office and cells on the ground and a court-room, also used as the council-chamber, on the first floor. Few original internal features survive since both floors have undergone extensive reworking from the late nineteenth century onwards. The town-house has also served as a cholera hospital and barracks and in 1854 the Fiscal's room was shelved to allow its use as Scotland's first free library, later moved to form Airdrie Carnegie Public Library later in the nineteenth century, itself superseded by the present library in 1924 (see separate listing). Baird went into partnership in an architectural practice with George Arthur in 1871, Arthur took over the practice in 1884 as "Mr Baird by then being much involved with the coal trade" to become Airdrie's leading architect in the late nineteenth century.

References

Bibliography

A Peden, THE MONKLANDS AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, p 13. N Cameron and I Fisher, TOLBOOTHS AND TOWN-HOUSES: CIVIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND TO 1833, RCAHMS, HMSO, 1996, p 32. G Thompson, AIRDRIE, A BRIEF HISTORICAL SKETCH, 1971.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BANK STREET, THE TOWNHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 14:46