Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

TAY BRIDGELB20861

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 05/10/1971

Location

  • Local Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Planning Authority: Perth And Kinross
  • Burgh: Aberfeldy

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NN 85134 49298
  • Coordinates: 285134, 749298

Description

William Adam, 1733; General Wade's classically-detailed bridge over River Tay on road from Crieff to Dalnacardoch. 5 segmental arches with 4 elegant obelisks to parapet framing centre arch. Chlorite schist rubble (see Notes) with ashlar dressings, keystones and voussoirs. Stepped band course and flat-coped parapet.

SW (UPSTREAM) ELEVATION: broad (60' span), taller centre arch with stepped keystone surmounted by white marble panel bearing crown, sceptre and sword at parapet; flanking cutwaters giving way to quoined refuges each containing panelled obelisk base at road level. Flanking arches (35' span) with raised and stepped voussoirs and full-height canted-out refuges with aediculed marble panels giving way to similarly-detailed outer arches (30' span) with small stone cannon projecting at outer elevations to W. Splayed approaches with flat-coped parapets and pyramidal copes.

NE (DOWNSTREAM) ELEVATION: mirrors above but aediculed panels with grey stone tablets.

Statement of Special Interest

Scheduled Ancient Monument partly in Weem Parish (W approach and 2 1/2 arches) and Dull Parish (E approach and 2 1/2 arches); E approach only is within the burgh. Erected for The Board of Ordnance to the order of Lt Gen George Wade, the stone was quarried, cut and tooled at local Bolfracks. The 'House of Commons Journal' of 1734 records that "the starlings are of oak, and the piers and landbreasts founded on piles shod with iron". Originally with steeply humpbacked centre and parapets 6' above the roadway. In 1932, 2 tablets with copies of Wade's original inscriptions were let into the stonework of two obelisk plinths, that to NE in English and that to SW in Latin. These record that the bridge, begun in April 1733, was finished within nine months, but this is not strictly true as General Wade stopped work for the winter leaving the bridge without parapets over the side arches. These were added the following year. Mackay records some extra details evident in the 1950s, these include small stone cannon over the small arches each projecting some 2', and hanging iron rings flanking the cutwaters of both centre piers.

References

Bibliography

Plans VITRUVIUS SCOTICUS, p1 122. OLD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 12, p131. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 10, p712-3. J B Salmond WADE IN SCOTLAND. N D Mackay ABERFELDY PAST & PRESENT (1954), p62. W Taylor MILITARY ROADS IN SCOTLAND (1996).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 25/07/2016 07:10