Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

207-219 Union Street (Odd Numbers) including The Grill and 3 Dee Street, AberdeenLB20532

Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Last Date Amended
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 93802 6002
393802, 806002


Circa 1830-35; No 213 re-modelled by Harbourne Maclennan of Jenkins and Marr, 1925. Unusually well-detailed public house and restaurant occupying part of ground floor of three-storey and attic, eleven-bay (bays grouped three-five-three), simple granite ashlar classical tenement; remaining ground floor shop fronts modern. First floor band course, eaves cornice and blocking course. Some round and segmental-headed, voussoired openings retained at ground.

Further Description: symmetrical principal elevation to north with regular fenestration at first and second floors. Ground floor with deep-set, two-leaf, part-glazed timber door and semicircular fanlight at centre; Number 213 immediately to right comprising three-bay shopfront of bronze panels and frosted glass with classical swag decoration to flanking pilasters and frieze with centre fascia; arcading retained at outer shop fronts.

Largely four-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans; ashlar-coped skews.

Number 213, The Grill, Interior: little altered Jenkins and Marr interior incorporates exceptional plasterwork to shallow vaulted ceiling defining long narrow bar with and small circular space divided by broad segmental arch; walls panelled with mahogany veneer. Mahogany doors, gantry and bar counter, gantry has three decoratively-astragalled display cabinets, that to centre with segmental pediment; counter has plaques with relief carved letter G , and brass match strikers. Leather covered banquettes line wall opposite bar.

Statement of Special Interest

This typical Aberdeen tenement, situated on a principal city centre street has undergone some alteration at ground level, but retains a remarkably fine example of the work of local architectural practice Jenkins & Marr who were based at 16 Bridge Street in Aberdeen. By 1921 Harbourne Maclennan was the sole partner of Jenkins and Marr, having retained the practice name.

List description updated as part of Public Houses Thematic Study 2007-8.

Statutory address revised in 2018. Previously listed as Union Street, 207-219 (Odd Numbers) including The Grill .



Slaughter, M (Ed) (2007) CAMRA Scotland s True Heritage Pubs, p.22.

Dictionary of Scottish Architects. 213 Union Street at [accessed 18/02/2008].

Brogden, W. A. (1998) Aberdeen An Illustrated Architectural Guide, p.99.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 207-219 Union Street (Odd Numbers) including The Grill and 3 Dee Street, Aberdeen

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 21:49