Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

49 AND 51 BELMONT STREET, THE BELMONT PICTUREHOUSE (FORMER TRADES COUNCIL HALL)LB20132

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
24/04/1987
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 93903 6263
Coordinates
393903, 806263

Description

Alexander Ellis and Robert Gordon Wilson, dated 1896. Tall, substantial hall building designed to be viewed principally from Union Terrace and Roseburn Viaduct. Diminutive single bay grey granite ashlar entrance at 51 Belmont Street: pilastered and keystoned arch with scrolled segmental panel dated 1896 over parapet. Arch leads to 6-bay main hall: squared grey granite rubble with tooled dressings; 6 round-headed openings to upper hall N and S elevations. W ELEVATION: Venetian window at upper level; shouldered wallhead stack above flanked by corbelled, domed and finialed bartizans at western angles. Staggered staircase descends length of N elevation.

Predominantly blacked-out windows; grey slate, piended roof to main hall.

INTERIOR: Originally 2 principal storeys, the main hall is now converted to a cinema and divided horizontally at gallery level; retains some plasterwork.

Statement of Special Interest

Situated directly to the rear of 47 Belmont Street, the diminutive entrance at Belmont Street gives little hint of the large and impressive former Trades Hall to which it leads. Making full use of the different levels of the site, local architects Ellis and Wilson designed an impressive hall which adds significantly to the streetscape of Roseburn Viaduct. Tall and narrow with clasping bartizan towers, it is a distinctive piece of architecture.

Designed for the Trades Council, it was used principally for meetings of Aberdeen's newly established Labour Movement. The ceiling of the main hall originally had painted panels, possibly still in existence under later paint. Belmont Street was open pasture running alongside the Denburn until the 1770's from which point it was feued for building and quickly developed with a variety of uses and styles in evidence to this day.

References

Bibliography

Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen ' Survey and Plan (1949) p.149; W A Brogden ' Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p.39. Ranald MacInnes, The Aberdeen Guide (1992) p98.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 49 AND 51 BELMONT STREET, THE BELMONT PICTUREHOUSE (FORMER TRADES COUNCIL HALL)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/10/2019 21:20