Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

ALBYN PLACE, HARLAW ACADEMY, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB20083

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 93015 5735
Coordinates
393015, 805735

Description

Archibald Simpson, 1837-1840, central block; E and W pavilions circa 1830; additions to S, W J Smith & Kelly, 1892; S wing and links to pavilions J A O Allan, 1902; later additions and alterations. 2-storey central block flanked by 2-storey basement and attic links and pavilions forming shallow U-plan courtyard; 4-storey block to S; 2-storey S wing linked by single storey corridor. Grey granite ashlar central block and links; remainder predominantly tooled coursed granite finely finished to margins. Ashlar base course and eaves courses to central block and links; rough-faced base course to remainder; eaves blocking course. Variety of strip quoins and long and short quoins; panelled and glazed timber doors.

CENTRAL BLOCK:

Archibald Simpson, 1837-1840.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, 9-bay, symmetrical. 3 central bays slightly advanced with pilasters through ground and 1st floors supporting entablature and deep eaves blocking course stepped up to centre; round-arched architraved doorway with keystone motif reached by stone steps to centre of ground floor, 2-leaf panelled door with glazed upper panes, fanlight, window to centre of 1st floor above, regular fenestration to flanking bays to left and right; single bays flanking to left and right, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of each; 2 pedimented bays advanced to outer left and right, regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors of each.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: obscured by links to pavilions (see below).

S ELEVATION: enclosed by small courtyard; harled centre bays, flanked by single bays to left and right, single windows recessed in segmental arches to ground floor, single windows to 1st floor; pedimented bays flanking to left and right obscured by flat-roofed 20th century corridor links to S block (see below).

LINKS:

J A O Allan, 1902.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 2-storey, basement and attic links to pavilions flanking central block to E and W. E Link: 6-bay; 5-bay assembly hall stepped forward to right, tall windows through ground and 1st floors set in recessed planes to each bay, sky-lights to attic floor; recessed bay adjoining central block to left, single storey flat-roofed addition to re-entrant angle at ground floor, single window to centre, architraved doorway to left return with 2-leaf panelled door, window to recessed 1st floor. W Link: 7-bay; 6-bay block stepped forward to left, regular fenestration to basement, ground and 1st floors of each bay, glazed doorway to outer left, skylight to centre of attic floor; recessed bay adjoining central block to right, single storey flat-roofed entrance to re-entrant angle to right at ground floor, single window to centre, architraved doorway to right return with 2-leaf panelled door, window to recessed 1st floor.

E AND W ELEVATIONS: obscured by adjoining central block and pavilions.

S ELEVATION: not seen 2000..

EAST PAVILION:

Circa 1830. 2-storey, basement and attic; 6-bay.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; 2-central bays slightly advanced, tetrastyle Greek Doric porch to ground floor, reached by stone steps, 2-leaf glazed timber door to centre of ground floor with glazed panels surrounding, 2 windows to 1st floor above; 2 bays flanking to left and right, regular fenestration to each; modern rectangular dormer and skylights to attic floor.

W ELEVATION: 4-bay; regular fenestration to ground and 1st floors, rectangular dormer to attic. Adjoins link to outer right.

S ELEVATION: not seen 2000.

E ELEVATION: 3-bay; regular fenestration to each floor; rectangular dormer to attic floor. Single storey flat-roofed entrance porch advanced to outer left.

WEST PAVILION:

Circa 1830. 2-storey, basement and attic; 3-bay.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; tetrastyle Tuscan porch to ground floor, reached by stone steps, 2-leaf glazed timber door to centre of ground floor with glazed panels surrounding, broad tripartite window to 1st floor above; regular fenestration to basement ground and 1st floors of flanking bays to left and right; 4-light rectangular dormer and skylight to attic floor.

W ELEVATION: 4-bay; regular fenestration to each floor, flat-roofed entrance advanced to outer right. Later addition and South Block adjoining (see below).

S ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining South Block.

E ELEVATION: 4-bay doorway to bay to left of ground floor, regular fenestration to remainder, broad skylight to attic floor. Adjoins link to outer left.

SOUTH BLOCK:

Predominantly Smith & Kelly, 1892; extended and remodelled 20th century. Adjoins central block to S. 3 and 4-storey.

N ELEVATION: linked to central block by 2 modern flat-roofed corridors, predominantly not seen 2000.

W AND E ELEVATIONS: obscured by 20th century additions; irregular fenestration.

S ELEVATION: 13-bay main block near-centre, Smith & Kelly; bay to centre of ground floor stepped forward, 3-light canted window surmounting to 1st floor, predominantly regular fenestration to remaining bays of ground, 1st and 2nd floors, except 2 bays to outer right, 2 windows enlarged to form 1; 4th floor largely remodelled, original bipartite window to centre; 3 broad windows flanking to left, 2 stepped back windows to outer right. 2 20th century stair bays flanking main block to left and right, tall vertical window to each, ground floor of bay to left obscured by adjoining corridor to S wing (see below). 3-storey, 4-bay block stepped down to outer right, regular fenestration; 4-storey, 8-bay block adjoining to left with regular fenestration to each floor, enclosed by stair tower to outer left tall vertical window; 3-storey 2-bay block to outer left, regular fenestration.

SOUTH WING:

J A O Allan, 1902; later additions and alterations. 2-storey 17-bay wing adjoining South Block with single storey corridor.

N ELEVATION: symmetrical; 3 central bays advanced with 4-light windows to centre of ground and 1st floors, flanked to left and right by regular fenestration; 7 bays flanking to left and right, regular fenestration to each floor, corridor linking wing to South Block to 4th bay from right; late 20th century addition to outer left.

W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 2-bay block to left with 2 horizontal windows to ground floor, round-arched doorway to re-entrant angle to right, with window above; harled bay flanking to right; gymnasium and later additions recessed to right.

S ELEVATION: variety of additions and alterations adjoining boundary wall (see below).

E ELEVATION: predominantly obscured by late 20th century addition.

12-pane timber sash and case windows to central block; replacement lying-pane PVCu windows to remainder. Piended grey slate roofs with lead ridges. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative top hoppers. Variety of coped stacks and vents.

INTERIOR: geometrically-leaded stained-glass doorway to central entrance hall with glazed 2-leaf door, some cornicing survives; replacement doorway leads to inner hall, cornicing with decoratively scrolled brackets; round arched doorways to left and right. Remainder of interior remodelled, stairs and many of doors with circular glazed panel inset survive; 3-storey open lightwell to E pavilion; assembly hall to W link, stage to W, balcony to E, moulded ceiling.

GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS: coped granite rubble boundary walls to S, square-plan coped gatepiers, some with shallow pyramidal caps; various infilled doorways.

Statement of Special Interest

Described by G M Fraser as "one of his [Archibald Simpson's] most distinctive buildings". Harlaw Academy was designed by Simpson for Mrs Elmslie, a widow from London who put aside ?40,000 for the erection and endowment of a hospital for orphan and destitute girls. The building was opened on the 19th of November 1840 by the Lord Provost Sir Thomas Blackie. The main block of what is now Harlaw Academy, is elegantly proportioned with virtually no unnecessary detail. Simpson's original design shows a sculptured group on the blocking course over the entrance bay, however this does not appear to have been executed. Formerly known as High School for Girls. The school was extended in 1892 and 1902 by Smith & Kelly and J A O Allan respectively. In 1902 the corridors were built to link the original school to the slightly earlier flanking villas.

References

Bibliography

Aberdeen Public Library, PLANS OF MRS ELMSLIE'S INSTITUTION BY ARCHIBALD SIMPSON, 1837; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol 12, (1845), p59; 1st (1864) and 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAPS; Aberdeen City Archives, PLANS FOR ADDITIONS AND ALTERATIONS TO GIRL'S HIGH SCHOOL, 7 March 1892, July 1890, 7 June 1902; G M Fraser, "Archibald Simpson, Architect and His Times", ABERDEEN WEEKLY JOURNAL, 14 June 1918, 9 August 1918; W D Chapman & C F Riley, GRANITE CITY: A PLAN FOR ABERDEEN, (1952), p148; R W Smyth, ARCHIBALD SIMPSON: HIS CLASSICAL BUILDINGS IN ABERDEEN, (1975), p33; M S Higgs, "Archibald Simpson: Granite in the Service of Greek Architecture", SCOTTISH PIONEERS OF THE GREEK REVIVAL, (1984), p61; E Meldrum, ABERDEEN OF OLD, (1986), p90; C Graham, ARCHIBALD SIMPSON ARCHITECT OF ABERDEEN 1790-1847, (1990), p33, 35, 40-41, 53; W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, (2nd Edition: 1998), p122.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ALBYN PLACE, HARLAW ACADEMY, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/10/2021 14:06