Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

STONEHAVEN ROAD AND ANDERSON DRIVE SOUTH, BRIDGE OF DEE, OVER RIVER DEE, INCLUDING SUNDIALLB20068

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
12/01/1967
Local Authority
Aberdeen
Planning Authority
Aberdeen
Burgh
Aberdeen
NGR
NJ 92901 3557
Coordinates
392901, 803557

Description

Thomas Franche master mason, Alexander Galloway (minister of Kinkel) master of works, dated 1520 and 1523; substantially repaired/rebuilt 1718-19 by Alexander Riach; further repairs and widening to W, John Smith, 1840-1842. 7-span ribbed round arches with chamfered reveals. Coursed granite ashlar lightly stugged; coped parapet. Splayed wing walls, buttresses, cylindrical terminations with polygonal caps and ball finials; ironwork railings to approaches; square-plan stone sundial to SE wing wall, replacement gnomon, tooled to S edge "AQ MR O BW 1719". Cutwater-refuges decorated with coats of arms and tooled inscriptions, bearing a variety of dates.

Statement of Special Interest

Until the later 19th century the Bridge of Dee was "the only great thoroughfare over the Dee from Aberdeen to the south" (Groome, p12). In 1448 the first mention of the inconvenience of the ferryboat across the Dee was made by the Council, and the search for a suitable site begun. The bridge was finally begun in the 16th century with the help of a bequest from Bishop Elphinstone of £20,000. Elphinstone died in 1514, by which time the stone had been acquired from Morayshire, but no work had taken place. Bishop Gavin Dunbar was his successor, and took on the building of the bridge, having invested some money in it himself. The majority of the work was complete by 1530, but it was not completely finished until after Dunbar's death. In the middle of the 16th century a chapel was built near the NE corner, and a timber port (gateway) was built to watch for undesirables. The wooden port required so much maintenance that it was replaced in 1597 by a stone one. The chapel and port were removed towards the end of the 18th century. By 1720 the bridge was decaying, so was repaired by the Magistrates and Town Council of Aberdeen, using its own funds. In 1840, after strong competition from Archibald Simpson, John Smith, the City Architect, was employed to widen the bridge from 11'6" to 26', which he did with some advice from James Walker, C.E., Westminster, afterwards replacing the original facings. The bridge has a variety of coats of arms on it, among which is that of Bishop Elphinstone, Bishop Gavin Dunbar, and the City of Aberdeen, those on the SW pillar are probably the oldest. The tooled letters on the sundial stand for Alexander Watson, Master of Bridge Works, 1719.

Previously a Scheduled Monument. Descheduled on 16 February 2009.

References

Bibliography

J Sinclair, THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol. 19, (1797), p153; "Contracts", ABERDEEN JOURNAL, April 1st 1840; J G Parson, Shown on map insert, A DESCRIPTION OF BOTH TOUNS OF ABERDEEN, (1842); 1st (1864) & 2nd (1901) EDITION OS MAPS; G M Fraser, ABERDEEN 50 YEARS AGO, (1868), p10-18; J Munro, OLD LANDMARKS OF ABERDEEN, (1886), p45-46; F H Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND: A SURVEY OF SCOTTISH TOPOGRAPHY, STATISTICAL, BIOGRAPHICAL, AND HISTORICAL, Vol. 1, (1886), p7, 12; NMRS, Album No. 87, "The Bridge of Dee from Kincorth", THE STRANG COLLECTION, DUNEARN, (c. 1887), p5; A I McConnochie, 123 VIEWS OF ROYAL DEESIDE, p5; A I McConnochie, 50 VIEWS OF THE GRANITE CITY, p31; R Anderson, ABERDEEN IN BYEGONE DAYS, (1910), p36; G M Fraser, THE BRIDGE OF DEE: ITS HISTORY, ITS STRUCTURAL FEATURES & ITS SCULPTURES, (1913); W D Chapman & C F Riley, GRANITE CITY: A PLAN FOR ABERDEEN, (1952), p111-113, 147; W Douglas Simpson, COUNTRY LIFE, August 26 1965, p510-513; Public Works Congress, BRITISH BRIDGES, p430; A Cluer, WALKIN' THE MAT: PAST IMPRESSIONS OF ABERDEEN, (1977); W A Brogden, ABERDEEN: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE, 2nd Edition, (RIAS), (1998), p163; NMRS Various Photographs, Drawings and Plans.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to STONEHAVEN ROAD AND ANDERSON DRIVE SOUTH, BRIDGE OF DEE, OVER RIVER DEE, INCLUDING SUNDIAL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/11/2018 18:31