Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NJ 94588 6185
394588, 806185


James Gordon of Cobairdy, 1771. Well-proportioned 3-storey and basement, 5-bay townhouse with over-sailing steps to central doorway. Grey granite ashlar with raised margins and deeply chamfered quoins. Basement and eaves band courses; moulded cornice. Gibbs-style surround doorpiece and pediment. Later, small tapering stone entrance piers to streetline; low coped wall with cast-iron railings returning at far left to single-storey harled outshot with brick margins. 2-storey harled outshot to rear elevation.

12-pane plate glass to timber sash and case windows; grey slate to M-pile roof; twin stacks at right and left gable ends; clay cans; cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: Original room layout retained. Multi-pane glazed vestibule with double-leaf door to main entrance hall. Pilastered and arched entrance hall. Fine stone staircase with square central well to rear of building rising to attic level; ornamental cast-iron balustrades; moulded timber handrail. Fine, dentiled cornicing to principal rooms. Run of shallow vaulting to basement.

Statement of Special Interest

35 Regent Quay is an exellent example of a Georgian townhouse, characterised by its fine attention to detail and elegant proportions, crucially sited overlooking the harbour. Built during the first phase of construction of nearby Marischal Street, No 35 is perhaps the finest example of its type within the central Aberdeen area. Originally a private mansion house built by wealthy landowner James Gordon of Cobairdy, the property became the official Aberdeen Customs House around 1892.

Established in the UK in 1823, the Customs and Excise board played an important role in the maritime life of Aberdeen throughout the 19th and 20th centuries, protecting the interests of the city through the control of imported and exported goods. HM Revenue and Customs vacated its offices here in March 2006. The building is currently in multiple use as offices for a number of local charities and businesses (resurvey 2006).

The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840's.



Alexander Milne, 'A plan of the City of Aberdeen with all the inclosures surrounding the town to the adjacent country, from a survey taken 1789' ' National Library of Scotland. Chapman and Riley, 'The City and Royal Burgh of Aberdeen ' Survey and Plan 1949' p.149; W A Brogden ' Aberdeen, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1986) p.29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 35 REGENT QUAY, CUSTOM HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/03/2023 03:38