There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 20/07/1972
- Local Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Planning Authority: Dumfries And Galloway
- Parish: Mochrum
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NX 34720 46345
- Coordinates: 234720, 546345
Anthony Park, 1781; major additions and alterations, 1822; further addition, 1900-01. Former manse. 2-storey, 3-bay house, 1781; 2-storey, 3-bay house added to S, 1822, forming L-plan; 2-storey, 2-bay wing, 1900-01, in re-entrant angle to E. Painted rubble; painted render to E elevation and 1900-01 wing. Painted margins and quoin strips to 1822 block.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 3-bay, 1822. Roman Doric porch at centre; detached columns, triglyph frieze, cornice, and blocking course with central tablet; flush-panelled door and plate glass fanlight; red sandstone steps and platt to porch. Regularly disposed fenestration; taller windows at ground floor.
W ELEVATION: 3-bay block of 1781 to left; gable of 1822 block slightly advanced to right. Regularly disposed fenestration to block to left; windows at ground floor later enlargements; later small window at ground floor between centre and right bays. Small modern timber porch adjoined to left. Window to left at ground floor to gable to right.
E ELEVATION: gable of 1822 block to left, with window to left at ground floor. 1900-01 wing to right; French window and bay to left and bipartite window and bay to right at ground floors; 2 windows at 1st floors.
N ELEVATION: gable of 1781 block to right; painted rubble lean-to adjoined to right to N; window at 1st floor to E return. 1900-01 wing recessed to left, with modern flat-roofed timber addition filling re-entrant angle at ground floor. Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows; fixed plate glass glazing at ground floor to
S elevation. Coped skews. Painted rubble stacks, with copes; gablehead to E and W, with quoin strips, to 1822 block; gablehead to N and ridge to S to 1781 block. Grey slates, graded to E and W pitches of 1781 block. Painted octagonal cans. Red sandstone ridges. Piend roof to N to 1900-01 wing.
INTERIOR: some good late 18th century panelled doors, architraves and cornicing to 1781 house.
BOUNDARY WALLS: built 1867. Rubble walls with angled rubble coping; to Main Street to W; wall to N mutual with Graveyard (see separate listing). Various gabled and piend-roofed stone outbuildings; 2 to S; one to N incorporated with Graveyard wall.
Statement of Special Interest
The Architect of the manse is given as Anthony Park in notes taken from the scroll minutes, as recorded in the SCRAPBOOK. According to the same source, the manse was nearly complete in March 1781, when work was inspected, and in August 1781 "the Presbytery did thereby do declare the Manse of Mochrum... sufficiently executed". The 1781 building replaced an earlier manse (apparently built 1733), which was presumably situated on the same site, as in 1796, the STATISTICAL ACCOUNT refers to "the manse and offices... being all of late substantially rebuilt, and covered with slate". In 1839, the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT states that "a large addition was built to the manse in 1822; and it is at present in excellent repair". The 1900-01 wing was apparently built of bricks from the local kiln at Monreith village.
STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol XVII (1796) p 572. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol IV (1845) Wigtown, p 65. SCRAPBOOK (1936), relating to Mochrum parish, in possession of Minister. THIRD STATISTICAL ACCOUNT Vol 14 (1965)
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.