Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BLAIRS COLLEGE NEW CHAPELLB19227

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
22/12/1992
Supplementary Information Updated
09/09/1993
Local Authority
Aberdeenshire
Planning Authority
Aberdeenshire
Parish
Maryculter
NGR
NJ 88334 914
Coordinates
388334, 800914

Description

Robert curran of Warrington (architect), foundation stone 1899, elaborate interior C J Menart 1910-11. Transitional Gothic hall church with 3 stage buttresses tower and slender masonry spire at NE angle, apse at W (liturgical E). Grey Rubislaw granite tieh pink sandstone tracery. Entrance through base of tower at NE, canopied niche above, 2-light belfry stage, crenellated parapet and angle finials; lucarnes to spire, upper set diminutive, and delicate iron weather-vane. Elaborate cusoed Geometric tracery to 3 3-light apse windows; crenellated parapet and angle pinnacles, facetted roof. Polychrome banded slate roof (blue-grey and purple slates, red ridge tiles).

INTERIOR: very elaborate marble work throughout particularly in chancel and sacristy, above carved timber stalls, all by Menart. 3 cusped lights to each of 8 windows to S, 5 to N, plus transept. Single window in chancel continuing from nave, 3 to apse. Large 6-light E (liturgical W) window with clear glass. Baldacchino over altar (altar table now brought forward). Good stained glass of Saints (mainly Scottish) in apse windows. Braced barrel vaulted, timber lined roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Cost of chapel approx £8,000 defrayed by Mgr Lennon of Liverpool who selected the architect. Marble taked down, cleaned, and refixed, 1984, marble types used including Sicilian, Languedoc, and Fantastico Arni (see BLAIRS magazine, 1984).

Up-graded to category A from category B, 9 September 1993.

References

Bibliography

See Menzies house.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLAIRS COLLEGE NEW CHAPEL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/08/2019 12:11