Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
West Lothian
Planning Authority
West Lothian
NT 785 7225
307850, 672250


Church 1881, spire, 1890, Thornton Shiells and Thomson, Edinburgh, architects. Early English, nave and aisles, with semi-octagonal chancel. Snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Base course and plinth course. Aisles have gablet roofs, 3 to individual bays slightly extended. Spire in liturgical SW corner, 3 stage with buttresses, lancets at ground, first and second, lat-named louvred. Belfry stage octagonal, with engaged pillars at corners of tower terminating in plain finials. Top of spire octagonal, with lucarnes, and iron finial. Liturgical W front treated as entrance, with slightly projecting porch, vertically timbered door with ornamental iron hinges. Gablet above, with cross finial. Flanking lancets with hoodmoulds linked to string course. West window central 2-light with cinquefoil inhead, flanked by lancets, with linking hoodmoulds. Vesica window in apex of gable, which has cast-iron cross finial. Spirelet with lighter iron cross on NW buttress. Paired lancets in W front of aisle. INTERIOR Arcades cast-iron, slender, with ornate stiff-leaf capitals. Arch ribs with coffered panels between. In aisles beams supported on columns and corbelled brackets. Apse ribbed, springing from corbels, spandresl compartmented, with trefoil recesses. Original high altar replaced by modern reredos, original pulpit removed. Side altars with nihes to right and left of chancel with arched recesses, single compartment on left, tripartite on right. Plain confessionals in extended bays of aisles flanking chancel, baptistry in extended bay to left of porch. Rear gallery. SACRISTY linked to body of church, part steeply gabled with paired lancets, part shallow-pitch roof with 3 light decorated window latter probably added. Roofs slated, with lucarnes in roof of nave. SHRINE Later - late 19th century, in memory of Henry, 12th earl of Buchan, died 1857. To E of church, small roughly square building in decorated gothic. Base course and plinth course. S ELEVATION Arched doorway with red granite nook shafts, moulded head and hoodmould. Blind ogee-arched niche at gable head with nook shafts and hoodmould. Angel with sword as finial. Door wooden 2-leaf with wrought iron grilles and hinges. E AND W ELEVATIONS Gableted, with 2 light window, vesica head, hood mould, flanking stepped buttresses with gablet head.

Statement of Special Interest

The mission of Broxburn was re-opened in 1877. Work started on the church in 1880, and the foundation's stone was laid in June of that year. It was opened on 7 July 1881. It cost $2,500 and seated 600. The spire 110 ft high, cost $600 and the bell cast by Wilson & Co of Glasgow cost $162. The construction of the church was part-funded by the Countess Dowager of Buchan. St John Cantius is a Polish saint noted for his charity.



'The First Hundred Years' booklet produced by Church.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST JOHN CANTIUS AND ST NICHOLAS ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH AND SHRINE IN GROUNDS WEST MAIN STREET BROXBURN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/06/2019 21:56