Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BLADNOCH DISTILLERYLB19152

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
30/01/1991
Local Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Planning Authority
Dumfries And Galloway
Parish
Wigtown
NGR
NX 42038 54271
Coordinates
242038, 554271

Description

Founded 1817, present buildings mostly dating from 1878 enlargement with later alterations. Distillery comprised of single, 2 and 3-storey productive, warehouse and office ranges forming 2 irregular courtyards. Whinstone rubble with stugged granite dressings.

MALT BARN: 3-storey former malting house to N with near-regular fenestration to each floor, hayloft door to 1st floor, and later machinery door inserted. gabled bay with hayloft door in gablehead to N. KILN: pagoda-roofed kiln integral with malt barn to E; gabled dormerhead to hayloft door flanked by windows; decorative bell-cast lead ventilator with deep slated neck and ball finial. 2-storey barns adjoined; W range (probably earlier malt barn) with regular fenestration to W elevation, low ground floor windows to E elevation with 1st floor windows close under eaves. 2-storey mash-house to SE with new site, piended roof and with steel-framed draft tank shelter on stilts in re-entrant angle. Single storey office range to S, and later, free-standing centre-gabled, 2-storey, 3-bay office to SW (former anagers house), dated 1878, and entered from E with falling ground and lower floor to W elevation. Modern windows; octagonal ans. L-plan 2-storey warehouse ranges to N and E, forming 2nd courtyard; E range with gabled bays to E and W, and hayloft door breaking eaves in gabled dormerhead to S. Variety of glazing patterns; some small-pane, top-hopper, pivot and casement in original openings; later slappings with modern glazing. Some window grilles retained. Variety of roofing materials; predominantly grey graduated slates. Ridge ventilators.

INTERIOR: 6 wooden washbacks in situ; 2 ball-necked steam-fluted copper stills, 2 spirit safes.

Statement of Special Interest

Described as extensive by 1825, the distillery was founded by the McClellands. By 1845 there were 20 workers at the plant (Donaghie). The enlargement and modernisation of 1878 spread the various ranges over a 2 acre site and Barnard, writing in 1887, referred to a square pile of buildings around a courtyard. Only 1 of the 2 original kilns survives. No malting is currently carried out on site. Bladnoch Bridge lies to SE: an overshot water wheel (no longer extant) formerly drove the machinery. Bladnoch Village lies to E (in Wigtown Burgh). For information on the various properties of the Distillery, see Hume and Moss. Modern bonded warehouses lie nearby. The distillery was refurbished in 1990. The lade runs under the site.

References

Bibliography

Barnard, A The Whisky Distilleries of the United KIngdom pp342-3. Hume and Moss The Making of Scottish Whisky (1981) p169, p235. Donnachie, I The Industrial Archaeology of Galloway (1971) pp215-6.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLADNOCH DISTILLERY

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/07/2019 06:26