There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Date Added
- Local Authority
- North Ayrshire
- Planning Authority
- North Ayrshire
- NS 28228 40239
- 228228, 640239
James Miller, 1938. Symmetrical, single-storey, 7- by 3-bay former temporary pavilion built for the Empire Exhibition (see Notes) and resited at Ardeer, with large curvilinear Dutch-Baroque gables and later, 1960s, 2-storey flat-roofed section added to SW. Steel and timber framed structure, with cream painted asbestos cement cladding. Very steep pitched roofs with brown pantiles; replacement slates at W end. Multi-paned sash and case glazing made up of small square panes with chunky astragals.
N ELEVATION: 5 bays between projecting gables, with alternate doors and windows (2 doors with tall multi-paned grid pattern glazed fanlights; sash and case windows with 30 small square panes to each sash). Symmetrical curvilinear gables flanking, with chunky scrolls and semi-circular pedimented aspices; centre bay of gable slightly advanced, containing doors with rectangular grid-glazed fanlights and canted entablatures. Windows above on each gable have been blocked; simple niches beneath semi-circular apex. 2-leaf panelled door in right-hand gable; slightly different 2-leaf door with Spanish style curved glazing at upper panels to left. Doors flanked by narrow glazed strips (sash and case glazing; 15 panes to each sash).
SIDE ELEVATIONS: 5 bays; 18-pane sash and case windows at ground.
E ENTRANCE ELEVATION: (originally the principal front facing onto the water at the centre of Dominion and Colonial Avenue); elaborately detailed door with sweetheart curved moulding above low glazed 2-leaf door and diagonal astragals above in fanlight converging at glazed 'keystone' above curved timber moulding; also flanked by narrow sash and case windows; window above in tall, narrow curvilinear gable-head blocked. 2 red tiled steps to door as at N.
S (REAR) ELEVATION: very plain; smaller 9-pane windows at ground; straight-edged gables with simplified Dutch semi-circular pedimented aspices and kneelers midway.
Statement of Special Interest
The former South Africa pavilion with its distinctive curvilinear Dutch Baroque gables is one of the few remaining buildings from the Glasgow Empire Exhibition of 1938, held at Bellahouston Park. It was built originally to show exports from South Africa and the Dutch gables were designed to reflect the Dutch influence in South African architecture. Built as a temporary structure, the building was later moved to Ardeer to become a staff canteen.
The Empire Exhibition was an international showcase to celebrate industry and had exhibits from around the Commonwealth. Thomas Tait was the architect-in-chief and the majority of the buildings were in a contemporary functional style, using the latest building materials of steel and timber framing with asbestos cladding. The Dutch Baroque style of the Pavilion contrasted with these. The pavilion took its place in the 'Dominions and Colonies' section of the Exhibition, together with Canada and Australia Houses.
The GLASGOW HERALD evidently appealed on behalf of the public for the South African Pavilion at least to be retained after the close of the Exhibition.
It is appropriate that one of the pavilions found its way to ICI at Ardeer: ICI, the then largest chemical producer in the Empire had been represented at the Exhibition by another building, Basil Spence's ICI Pavilion, built entirely of ICI products, in the UK Manufacturing and Industries Section.
The building was altered slightly in its re-erection and an illustration in Architect and Building News (see above) shows elaborate gables with finials (now missing) to S. Kinchin, p143 shows a pedimented doorcase rather than entablature at E entrance.
James Miller (1860-1947) was a prolific and well-respected architect, based in Glasgow and who practiced all over Scotland. He was the architect of the previous 1901 Exhibition at Kelvingrove Park and was 78 years old when he designed this pavilion.
(References and Notes updated, 2011. All windows boarded, 2011)
The Architect and Building News, 27 May 1938. Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland, Print Room Collections, Empire Exhibition photograph collection Ref: 240744. P and J Kinchin Glasgow's Great Exhibitions, 1888, 1901, 1911, 1938, 1988: 1988, pp127-167 (p143 in particular). Architectural Review 1938, vol ii, p6. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk (accessed 29-09-11). www.scran.ac.uk (accessed 28-09011).
About Listed Buildings
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ARDEER, ICI PLANT, "SOUTH AFRICAN PAVILION" (FORMER ICI STAFF RESTAURANT)
There are no images available for this record.
Printed: 23/05/2018 11:45