Circa 1860-80. Largely complete former woollen mill complex; iron work by Wylie and Davie, Stirling Foundry, (name cast into beams in weaving shed), James Davie & Sons from 1873. Single storey rubble-built weaving shed and 2-, 3- and 4-storey brick built mill buildings with red and white polychrome treatment. Glazing pattern originally 6-(round-headed) or 9-pane, altered on the principal blocks.
B1, B2 WEAVING SHED: (now store), rubble-built between 1860-70, front to Cutforth Road rebuilt with polychrome red and white brick, 2-storey, circa 1870. Ground floor ashlar cornice. 1st floor round-arched aproned windows and dentil cornice. Some later doors and blockings to each floor. Engine house at NE demolished. Sides and saw-toothed rear rubble-built. Slate roofs, glazed north-lights of weaving shed altered to reduce light.
INTERIOR: remarkable cast-iron framed weaving shed, 7-bays wide, centres of latticed cross-pieces tied lengthwise, formerly held additional rows of columns to carry shafting. Wrought-iron tensioned principles. Cast-iron beams/gutters marked "Wylie & Davie Founders, Stirling". Front of lesser interest: timber floor on cast-iron columns and steel reinforcements.
19-82 HAYFORD MILLS, ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE: circa 1865-7, former B4, B5, B6 mule spinning mill and later store, transformer house and loading bay; 4-storey with 25-bay elevations to NW and SE. 10th and NE stair bay (with 3-bays of WW1 latrines to right) projects from former, later sheet metal-clad lift tower projects from the latter. Cast-iron tie-plates between alternate bays. 6 blind bays to SW. 5 tall arcaded bays to NE with dentil cornice, twin pilaster angles and later lift tower in centre. Single storey boiler house adjoins NE elevation. Cutforth Road, polychrome brick with ashlar cornice, wall partly slapped out for access to mill. Engine house rubble-built side and rear, polychrome brick front with 3 tall arched windows over door. Piended slate M-roof, ridge ventilators to boiler house.
INTERIOR: mill; 3 rows of 24 cast-iron columns with saddles, 1 row with bearing pads, carry crosswise timber beams, lengthwise at 3rd floor. Steel reinforcements to lower floors. Fine stair. Elaborate boarded and panelled ceiling to engine house with hooks and ornate ventilators. Converted to residential dwelling circa 2003.
30-39 HAYFORD MILLS: circa 1865-70, former B11, B11A, B12 probable dyehouse and later radio and lamp stores and workshop; 2-storey 21-by-4 bay block with 1st floor round-arched windows, cill course and dentil cornice. 7 westmost bays appear to be a slightly later extension in the same style. Single storey 2-by-5 bay piend roofed outshot to NW. Blocks 9 and 10, new boiler house, are later extensions of lesser interest. Piended M-roof.
INTERIOR: single row cast-iron columns carry composite twin timber beams tensioned by wrought-iron. New concrete floor and steel supports. Converted to residential dwelling circa 2003.
B13 WILLYING HOUSE (now garage and store); circa 1865-80-, roof rebuilt after fife in 1887. Square-plan 2-storey block with angle pilasters and dentil cornice. 6-bay elevation to Cutforth Road, arched windows at 1st, 4 ground floor windows altered for access to garage. Pilastered 3-bay sides and rear, blind except 2. Piended slate M-roof.
INTERIOR: ground floor (for teasing wool) brick arches on cast-iron beams and columns with wrought-iron ties. 1st floor (for drying wool) coved ceiling. Bevel gearing and pulley drives to hoist.
1-24 HAYFORD MILLS: circa 1871-80; former B14, B15 probable finishing department and woth counting house and later stores, loading bay and office; 3-storey 6-by12-bay (14-bay N elevation) quadrilateral block. 1st floor segmental-arched 2nd floor round arched, windows with Greek Key pattern and double dentil cornice over. Alternate bays pilastered and polychrome wallhead stacks to long elevations. Square-section 4-storey hoist at NW angle with twin blind recessed arched bays and pyramidal roof. 3 piended slate roofs.
INTERIOR: 2 rows of cast-iron columns with pierced saddles carry timber cross beams later reinforced with brick and steel at lower floors. (Apparently little power was required here). Open king post roofs. 2 stairs (for blue and white collar workers). Counting house at SE angle has timber boarded ceilings, fire places and shouldered arched lodge partitions. Converted to residential dwelling circa 2003.
POND: circa 1833-58: Oval rubble-built and coped cooling pond. (Filtering beds formerly lay to either side).
Rubble built boundary wall NW to mill, with square gatepiers to original mill of 1833. Gateway blocked.
Statement of Special Interest
Also known as Hayford and Parkvale mill. Founded 1833 (datestone relocated at entrance on demolition of original mill between 1913-1942), by John Campbell, William Watson and Alexander Donaldson, bought in 1845 by Robert Smith of Old Bridge Mill, Stirling, who built Hayford House in 1850 and died in 1859. Hayford Mills became the largest factory in Stirlingshire, after Carron Ironworks, employing 950 people in 1869 (530 power looms, 13 carding setts and 6 steam engines of 300hp). An enlargement in 1871 brought the number to 1200. The chief product was ladies wincey-woolen wefts and Lancashire cotton warps (hence the preponderance of looms). The mills closed in 1896, when Robert Smith Jun. withdrew his finance and invested in Australian gold mines (he died the night of a stormy board meeting in 1901 when it emerged that his Northern Territories Company was a bad investment). During WW1 the mill was a training barracks for the King's Own Scottish Borderers (KOSB) and machine gun shelters were erected at the end of Swiney Road. Between the wars the complex operated briefly as a carpet factory, and after WW11 it was a government civil defence store.
Important for its polychromy and, despite its long period as a store, one of the largest and most complete of Scotland's vertically integrated woollen mills. The construction of the weaving sheds is similar to that of Templeton's, Glasgow, also built by Davie of Stirling Foundry, but demolished for car parking.
Former mule spinning mill, probable finishing department, woth counting house and probable dyehouse converted to residential use circa 2003.
Statutory address updated from 'Cambusbarron, Hayford Mills' in 2011.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.