Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
Mains And Strathmartine
NO 39727 34091
339727, 734091


Later 19th century, extensions 1903 attributed to James Findlay. 2-storey. L-plan house. Snecked rubble and harl at sides and rear, stugged coursers at front, harled at 1st floor,ashlar margin, piended and gabled slate roof. Single and paired windows, painted canted windows at front, sash and case frames with plate glass at bottom, variety of glazing patterns at top; flat-coped skews, wallhead and shaped gables, moulded cast-iron gutters at front and sides; ridge and end stacks.

S ELEVATION: 5-bay, symmetrical. Original 3 bays at right; French doors (original front door) at centre with astragalled fanlight and droved margins, flanked by canted windows with multi-paned glazing to top of top sashes and moulded cornices; flat roofed canted window at 1st floor right with 4-and 8-pane glazing at top sashes, shaped gable above, large multi-pane window at left, smaller shaped gable above. Later 2 bays at left: panelled and glazed door at right with fanlight and droved margins, full-height canted window and shaped gable at left as outer right but with 4-and 8-pane glazing.

E ELEVATION: asymmetrical. Gable at centre with 2 windows at ground floor, 1 at 1st; bay at left with wallhead stack and window at far left with multi-pane glazing to top of top sash; bay at right with door and 2 windows at ground floor, part of 1st floor raised and harled to full-height, window at left.

N ELEVATION: bay at left, raised and harled at 1st floor, door and various windows, oriel at top right; later single storey dry-dashed, flat-roofed addition at right. Cheese press incised 'JO' at far right.

W ELEVATION: gable at left with window at ground and 1st floor, blank bay at right.

INTERIOR: in original condition throughout: including chimneypieces, kitchen, bathroom and pantry ceramics. Multi-pane top sash glazing in dining and drawing rooms has stained glass depicting foliage, flowers, birds, fish and portrait heads.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group with Balmuirfield Coach House, Mill, Road Bridge over Lade, Lodge and Road Bridge over Dichty Water. The site is one of many mill sites on the Dichty mentioned as a plash mill by Gauldie first in 1834 (John Sturrock), then in 1861-2 (A J Murdoch & Co). In 1864 Warden referred to the 'recently erected' bleachfield of A J Murdoch & Co. The 1900 OS map shows a bleachfield with many buildings, including this house. The property was owned by the Sharps of Balmuir House (listed separately, see NOTES), from circa 1872. The house was extended for Mr Moodie, the surviving drawings showing canted dormers where there are now shaped gables. The 'JO' on the cheese press refers to one of the Sir John Ogilvys of Baldovan House. There is an early 20th century turbine on the banks of the Dichty to the south.



OS maps 1858 and 1900.

Document at Balmuir House written by J H Sharp, grandson of John Sharp, circa 1930.

Enid Gauldie, 'Scottish Bleachfields 1718-1862' (1966), unpublished dissertation, University of Dundee, Appendix I, pp25-6.

Alexander J Warden, THE LINEN TRADE, ANCIENT AND MODERN (1864), p520.

Drawings for 1903 additions, DARC GD/WL bundle 6.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing and if a number or name is missing from a listing address it may still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing can also cover structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority advises on the need for listed building consent and they also decide what a listing covers. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMUIR, BALMUIRFIELD HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/03/2019 21:49