Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BALMUIR, BALMUIR HOUSE, INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLED GARDENLB19027

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
10/12/1991
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Mains And Strathmartine
NGR
NO 40208 34371
Coordinates
340208, 734371

Description

2- and 3-storey, irregular plan mansion house of various periods with inner courtyard and classical, Jacobean and baronial details, building history probably as follows; ealier 18th century, 3-storey, rectangualr plan house with asymmetrical single storey wings at rear, perhaps incorpporating earlier work at SW corner; NW wing raised, refaced and extended as dining room wing, and main staircase reconstructed earlier 19th century: 1st floor oriel windows added mid 19th century; variou additions by John Murray Robertson, 1892, including shaped gable pediments and angle turret to original house, ne entrance hall/billiard room/nursery wing at E (porch added circa 1897), 1st floor bedrooms at NE wing, larders and various service extensions at rear. Stugged coursers at S elevation of original building and 1892 addition, droved ashlar at NW wing, rubble at NE wing with stugged and snecked additions, original stair gable at N harled and margined, some 1892 additions at N painted brick. Grey slate roofs, piended and ogival at 1892 additions. Sash and case windows throughout, mostly plate glass glazing, 4-pane at 2nd floor of original house, 12-pane at NW wing and various ground floor windows at rear, thick astragalled 12- and multi-pane at stair gable; architraved at S elevation, shouldered at original house, mostly paired at E extension. Original house has wallhead band course, coped skews with skew blocks, end stacks. E addition has cill course at ground, 1st and 2nd floors, moulded wallhead course and weathercock at ogival roof, margined and keystoned oculus at shaped gable.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical, 3-bay earlier 18th century original house at left; keystoned shoulder-architraved doorcase at centre flanked by narrow windows, windows at left and right bays, tripartite oriels above at 1st floor, single window at centre, 3 windows at 1st floor with later sg

Statement of Special Interest

The house may have been built to supersede Claverhouse Castle, situated to the south and east. all of which has disappeared. Balmuir was owned by the Fothringhams of Powrie in the 15th century, passing to the Grahams of Meathie by the end of the 17th century. During the 18th century the Grahams, now of Balmuir adopted the surname Webster in compliance with a relative's will, and it was the Websters who sold the estate to John Sharp, flaxspinner in circa 1872. Sharp had commisioned Andrew Heiton of Perth to build Fernhall at West Ferry in circa 1866 (demolised, lodge listed at 69 Dundee Road), but engaged John Murray Robertson who had probaly worked at Heiton's office, to extend Balmuir. The attribution is stylistic, but the earlier Designs for Dining Room Chimneypieces is marked with Robertson's address and thus supports the attribution. The original house would seem to have been built by the Grahams, perhaps aggrandising the establishment by extending the NW dining room/kitchen wing following their change of name (and presumably fortune) to Webster. It was at this time that the staircase to the principal floor was probabaly moved from the staircase gable to the front hall. Included in B group with coach house/stables, dovecot, Garage Cottage, old stable and walled kitchen garden.

References

Bibliography

Document at Balmuir written by J H Sharp (grandson of John Sharp), circa 1930.

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1881), vol II pp284-7.

Information ex Mrs J W Bentley, Balmuir.

OS maps 1858, 1900.

R Blackadder, Estate plan of Balmuir, 1872, DARC.

J Murray Robertson, Designs For Dining Room Chimneypiece at Balmuir, 1879 (unexecuted), DARC.

Graham family lineage document, MS 3566-7, National Library of Scotland.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMUIR, BALMUIR HOUSE, INCLUDING ADJOINING WALLED GARDEN

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 14/11/2018 06:35