Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

MURROES, MURROES AND TEALING PARISH CHURCHLB19012

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/06/1971
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Murroes
NGR
NO 46131 35095
Coordinates
346131, 735095

Description

William Scott, dated 1848, incorporating an earlier burial vault. T-plan, simple gothic church. Stugged snecked rubble sandstone with margined ashlar dressings, grey slate roof. Pointed windows with hoodmoulds and label stops, geometric tracery at S, wheel window with moulded architrave at E and W gable; pointed arch doorways with chamfered reveals; diagonal buttresses; moulded saddleback-coped skews with skewputts, cruciform finials at N and E gables.

W ELEVATION: gabled porch at advanced right gable with 2-leaf door, inscribed shield, diagonal buttresses, window at left and right returns, fleur-de-lys finial; window above, corbelled octagonal birdcage bellcote at apex with pointed-arch openings, gablets and pinnacled roof, chain and bell-pull to bell; square-plan stair tower with door at left re-entrant angle, window at left return; recessed bay at far left with door and heraldic panel above dated 1642 (no 4 missing).

N GABLE: stepped 3-light window at centre, heraldic shields and inscriptions ?TF? and ?MG? at left and right.

E ELEVATION: similar to W elevation but with angle stack at re-entrant bay and no bellcote.

S ELEVATION: inscribed date panel at centre, 2 windows at left and right.

INTERIOR: fine panelled pulpit at S wall flanked by 2 flights of stairs with turned balusters, ornate octagonal tester with crown spire and crocketted finials; pews probably original, 2 box pews flanking pulpit; stained glass windows at S, E and W probably by C and L Ower, 1880s; simple coombed and ribbed ceiling; carved screen in N aisle with stained glass depicting McGavin of Ballumbie family arms; moulded stone panel with 8 family arms and names on E wall; panelled gallery with small organ.

Statement of Special Interest

The church is an ecclesiastical building in use as such, occupying the site of an earlier probably pre-Reformation building, the parish having been the gift of Gilchrist, Earl of Angus to the Abbey of Arbroath in 1211-14. There was also a chapel in the den near Ballumbie Castle which by circa 1590 seems to have been amalgamated with Murroes church; according to Warden, the site of the chapel was still ?shown? in 1885. Jougs which were formerly attached to the outside of the building are now stored within the church. The inscription over the east door reads ?Ora et Labora? (Pray and Labour), and over the west door ?Laus Et Honor Deo? (Praise and Honour be to God). The initials ?TF? and ?MG? on the north gable refer to Thomas Fothringham and Margaret Gibson his wife. The inscription on the dated panel on the south wall reads (in Latin) ?This church was consecrated to Christ, the Light of the World, and the author of human salvation, in the year of Our Lord, 1848?. Robert Edward, minister of Murroes during the second half of the 17th century wrote (in Latin) A DESCRIPTION OF THE COUNTY OF ANGUS (1678), including a map, reprinted in Warden, op.cit (1881), vol II. One of Edward?s sons was the architect Alexander Edward, see John Lowrey, ALEXANDER EDWARD: CLERGYMAN, ARCHITECT, JACOBITE, Crawford Centre,

St Andrews, 1987.

References

Bibliography

Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V, p2 (erroneously states that the present church was erected in 1648); NSA (1842),

vol XI, p595; McKean and Walker (1985); p116; Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1875), vol I, pp121-126; William Marshall, HISTORIC SCENES IN FORFARSHIRE (1875), pp57-58; C and L Ower, Drawings for stained glass windows, Wellgate Library, P3; Drawings for carved work on screen, Wellgate Library, P44.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MURROES, MURROES AND TEALING PARISH CHURCH

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/11/2018 12:27