Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

GAGIE, GAGIE FILTERS, GAGIE WELL, INCLUDING FILTER BEDS, GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALLLB18998

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/12/1991
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Murroes
NGR
NO 45539 37216
Coordinates
345539, 737216

Description

James Leslie, engineer, 1848, substantial, circular-plan well tower, rebuilt and extended to include filter beds and boundary wall by George Baxter, engineer, 1906-7, with architectural detail by brother David Baxter.

WELL (1848, REBUILT 1906): single storey, circular-plan wellhead with projecting entrance porch. Lightly stugged sandstone courses, grey slate roof. Moulded base course, 2 multi-pane timber-framed top-hopper windows, massive corbelled and crenellated parapet. Entrance porch has plain boarded door with chamfered margins and blank oculus above in crowstepped gable with bracketted skewputts; bipartite sash and case windows with chamfered stone mullions and margins at left and right returns.

FILTER BEDS (1906): 3 large rectangular-plan filter beds built of red and grey brick; narrow gauge railway line adjoining.

GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALL (1907): pyramidal-capped, bull-faced ashlar gatepier with round-coped ashlar wall adjoining and further similar pier; rubble boundary wall.

Statement of Special Interest

The clear water well and filter beds formed part of the aqueduct system from Monikie to Stobbs Muir constructed by the Dundee Water Company which had been formed in 1845 to provide an adequate water supply for the expanding population of Dundee. The plant is no longer used. There are associated aqueducts listed in Murroes parish at Gagie Lodge, Burnside of Duntrune and Little Gagie Farm (Wellbank). There is an unlisted aqueduct in a field to the north east (North Bank Farm), a low structure completely encased in a walled grassed-over mound known locally as ?the boat?.

References

Bibliography

OS map 1858; George Baxter, THE DUNDEE WATER COMMISSIONERS (1913);

G M Binnie, EARLY VICTORIAN WATER ENGINEERS (1981); Specifications, in the Records of the Dundee Water Commissioners, DARC C20, C44.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GAGIE, GAGIE FILTERS, GAGIE WELL, INCLUDING FILTER BEDS, GATEPIER AND BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 16:23