Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

SHANDON, SHORE ROAD, STUCKENDUFF COACH HOUSE AND WALLED GARDEN (FORMERLY PART OF ARDGARE ESTATE)LB18969

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
18/03/1994
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Parish
Rhu
NGR
NS 25770 85972
Coordinates
225770, 685972

Description

Earlier 19th century. Single and 2-storey Italianate range of coach house, stables and office buildings, currently uninhabited and in poor condition. Rectangular-plan with

2 projecting wings forming inverted F-plan ; campanile tower and

glass houses. Painted harl with droved honey-coloured sandstone margins and dressings.

N ELEVATION: advanced single storey lean-to block to outer left; 3 bays to right return, 2 windows symmetrically disposed and door in inner right bay. Wall of main rectangular-plan block to right with hoist doors. Advanced block to right; broad bracketted gable; 2 slender windows symmetrically placed at ground with louvred window at centre in gablehead; 3 doors at left return, panelled with fixed 6-pane rectangular fanlight, similar arrangement at right return. Lean-to glasshouses built in re-entrant angle to right (infilled now with louvered doors). 3-stage campanile tower to right; string courses; oculus; eaves band; piended roof.

S ELEVATION: low lean-to, flat-roofed bay to outer left, single storey, gabled block in penultimate bay to left, door at centre; campanile rising behind. 2-storey block to right, gabled dormerheads. Broad, unpainted gable to right, windows symmetrically disposed at ground; blank, harled wall to outer right.

8-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roof. Square, coped wallhead and ridge stacks with lotus leaf cans.

WALL: curving brick wall to W of stables, crenellated parapet.

WALLED GARDEN: to NE of stables. Rectangular-plan walled garden; brick with ashlar saddle back coping. Ruined glasshouses against NE wall.

Statement of Special Interest

The coach houses stables and walled garden were originally part of the Ardgare Estate. Ardgare House was demolished circa 1980. Stuckenduff, the former dower house of Ardgare, is listed separately.

References

Bibliography

OS 1st and 2nd edition maps, 1865, 1896.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to SHANDON, SHORE ROAD, STUCKENDUFF COACH HOUSE AND WALLED GARDEN (FORMERLY PART OF ARDGARE ESTATE)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/06/2019 09:24