Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Lothian
Planning Authority
East Lothian
NT 44325 69012
344325, 669012


Parish Church with complicated building history; pre-reformation

nave, probably on medieval foundations, earlier Winton Aisle to N, and bell-tower of 1631; mid 17th century Saltoun Aisle also to N. Yellow rubble, harl-pointed with variety of ashlar dressings; Winton aisle in squared and coursed yellow stone. Chamfered reveals to simpler openings. Tower: sited at W end, projecting from centre of gabled nave elevation. Square plan, 4 stages. Doorway to W with date 1631 and initials "JO" above, pointed arched window in 2nd stage; stone forestair on N return in re-entrant angle with nave, leading to doorway below 2nd stage; decorative cast-iron railings; arrow slit flight-hole to dovecot in 3rd stage and group of 3 small arched flight-holes on S return. Grey ashlar octagonal bellcote at 4th stage, broached from 3rd stage, cill course to lancet openings and bell-cast eaves to polygonal

spire; cockerel weathervane; bell dated 1656. Interior of 3rd stage lined with nesting boxes. Nave: 5-bay.Winton Aisle running parallel at E of N elevation and Saltoun Aisle at right angles to its W; E end with doorway below pointed, round-arched, Y-traceried window; ashlar cube sundial as finial, with copper gnomon. Tower at W end to centre with small round-arched nave windows at eaves level (lighting gallery); wall monument to S of tower. Round-arched window (former door) to N, to right of Saltoun Aisle. S elevation with set-off wall buttresses, ashlar coped; 2 lancet windows left of centre flanking further wall monument; one lancet to right of centre and one to outer right; round arched priest's door blocked as window to outer left bay with small pointed arch window under eaves; 2 simple sundials with gnomons incised on outer left buttress. Wall monuments of particular note each with broken pediment cradling cartouche, columned inscription panels and memento mori, S wall monument to D Pringle, post-1733; W wall monument to K Forbes, post-1639. Winton Aisle: formerly vaulted and with slab slates. 2-bay to N with gablet wall buttresses (later strengthened with set-off additions) dividing bays. Bead moulding to surrounds of hoodmoulded, pointed-arch openings; 2 to N both blocked; roll-moulded doorway (formerly in left archway)moved to right bay along with oculus above; 2-leaf doors. Set-off wallhead to N with mask-carved corbels to eaves and closed by subsidiary skewputts. W gable with traceried 3-light window, rose window at centre clasped by cusped mouchettes in pointed lights. E end barely separated from Saltoun Aisle at right angles and with pointed arch 2-light and rose window. Saltoun

Aisle: gabled projection to N with Y-traceried window with bead moulding to surround. Doorway on W return with fluted pilasters, broken segmental pediment with shield; blocked oriel window to centre of W return and further fine classical wall monument,d etailed similarly to these described above. Blank elevations on E return by Winton Aisle. Diamond-pattern leaded glazing with some intersecting traceried timber glazing patterns to W end windows. Grey-green slates. Ashlar coped skews. Decorative cast-iron eaves brackets. Interior: boarded

dado, white-wash above; cornice below coombed ceilings; Winton Aisle through wide depressed arch and with bare stone walls. Gallery to W end on polygonal timber columns, decorative brackets, Jacobean panelling to gallery front. Pulpit 17th century oak, decoratively carved with baptismal bracket, modern base,decorative cast-iron balustrade to

steps, similar 17th century panelling to pews in Saltoun Aisle. Communion table, Font and Lectern, 1909. Organ Peter Conacher and

Co, Springwood, Huddersfield, 1889,with colourfully stencilled decoration. Stained glass window to E of Winton Aisle, C E

Kempe, 1883, Faith, Hope and Charity; at the E end Guthrie and

Wells, post 1924, Motherhood and the sower; decorative border and quatrefoil in S windows flanking pulpit. Gatehouse: probably 18th century, to N gate; sandstone rubble, squared for dressings: door in E end; stack to W end; pantiles. Offertory Houses: 2 buildings to W of graveyard, that to N probably 18th century, detailed as gatehouse but smaller and built on inclining ground;o ffertory house to S probably early 19th century, in tooled rubble with chamfered details to tripartite window to one side,4 -pane glazing pattern to sash and case windows, grey slates, coped skews and beak skewputts. Graveyard

walls: rubble walls with semi-circular coping to N (roadside). 2 square ashlar gatepiers to N gate with pyramid caps and ball finials (one missing); wrought-iron gates. Selection of fine

gravestones, including ornately carved table-tombs.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Manse with stable court sited on falling ground to S and E. Pre-reformation church belonged to monks of Dryburgh Abbey. Panelling of pulpit and pews similar to that in Yester Parish Church, brought from earlier church. Pencaitland Parish Church is well-sited between the Eastern and Western sections of the parish, created by the course of the River Tyne.



MacGibbon and Ross Ecclesiastical Architecture of Scotland (1896),pp304-6.

RCAHMS Inventory No 135.

NSA vol 2,p353.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PENCAITLAND PARISH CHURCH WITH GATEHOUSE OFFERTORY HOUSES AND GRAVEYARD WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 08:18