Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

DUNNET PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND BURIAL GROUNDLB1888

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
13/04/1971
Local Authority
Highland
Planning Authority
Highland
Parish
Dunnet
NGR
ND 21987 71183
Coordinates
321987, 971183

Description

Simple T-plan church, possibly with pre-Reformation core

and 1837 north aisle, and with 2-storey tower at west

gable, probably of 17th/early 18th century date. All harled.

Entrance in base of tower, which has small ground floor

window in centre of west elevation and various diminutive

vents in 1st floor. Saddleback roof running east/west.

4 long narrow windows in south elevation of main body of

church, and smaller, later window (to light Minister's

room) at left. Similar narrow windows in north aisle.

Multi-pane glazing; slate roofs.

17th century mural monument at west end of south elevation,

between Minister's window and entrance.

Interior; plain interior; pulpit with upholstered buttoned

back-board in centre of south wall; plain 1837 box pews

fill slightly raked aisles. Wheelstair in tower; memorial in

entrance to Rev. Timothy Pont, Minister of Dunnet, 1601-10.

Burial ground; roughly coped rubble walled burial ground,

filled with tombs dating from 17th to 20th centuries.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such.

Rev. Timothy Pont was an early Scottish cartographer.

Communion table commemorates George Calder, pilot, RAFVR,

killed in action 1942.

Font given in memory of Jimmie Swanson, who gave his life

in the Longhope (Orkney) lifeboat disaster, 1969.

References

Bibliography

THE STATISTICAL ACCOUNT (1791) xviii (Ed. I. Grant and D.

Witherington, 1979) pp. 49-50. NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT, xv,

(1840) p.46. National Monuments Record of Scotland

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to DUNNET PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) AND BURIAL GROUND

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 24/06/2019 22:26