Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
HY 44913 47440
344913, 1047440


Late 18th/early 19th century. 2-storey; 3-bay; rectangular-plan house with crowstepped gables and symmetrical principal (SE) elevation. Coursed rubble, partially harled.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central entrance with boarded timber door. Flanking windows to each floor and one above.

NW ELEVATION: window to each floor to left of centre. Small rubble addition and adjacent concrete block addition (probably for water tank) to outer left.

SW ELEVATION: window to each floor to right of gable end.

NE ELEVATION: single storey lean-to concrete addition to right of gable end.

12-pane timber sash and case windows (panes largely missing). Caithness slate roof. Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side (NE and SW); round cans.

INTERIOR: plan intact. Box bed in separate recess with panelled timber door to ground floor room to left of entrance. Plain timber fireplace surrounds; that in room to right of entrance (kitchen) with cast-iron range.

Statement of Special Interest

An intact superior quality farmhouse of late 18th/early 19th century date. It was the estate farm for Brough House (see separate list description) and was built at around the same time as the nearby house. The adjacent E-plan steading (see separate list description) dates from the later 19th century. The estate belonged to the Stewart family (Edward, the first laird, was an illegitimate son of Earl Robert Stewart of Orkney) from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century (it was left to trustees by the 8th laird, James Stewart, in 1858). According to Fenton it belonged to the Traill family during the same period (the two families do appear to have been related however). In the early 1840's 'Mr Stewart of Brugh' was described as the head of one of only two families of independent fortune residing in the parish (then including Papa Westray, New Statistical Account). By 1880 it was certainly in the possession of the Traills of Holland (OS Name Book). It appears on the 1881 OS Map.



1st Edition County Series OS Map, 1/2500 (1881); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1845) pp123 & 127; Alexander Fenton, THE NORTHERN ISLES: ORKNEY AND SHETLAND (1978) pp96 & 145; Leslie Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p96; Jocelyn Rendall, PAPAY - A GUIDE TO PLACES OF INTEREST (2nd Edition, 1996) p24.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROUGH FARMHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/05/2019 19:29