Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

PIEROWALL, TRENABIE BERE MILLLB18734

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
08/12/1971
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
Parish
Westray
NGR
HY 43836 47940
Coordinates
343836, 1047940

Description

Probably earlier 18th century (crude 1722 datestone); restored 1999. Single storey (originally with loft); rectangular-plan; bere mill; with crowstepped gables and intact breast-shot waterwheel. Coursed rubble.

N ELEVATION: narrow entrance to outer left (probably originally to gear cupboard around/over pit wheel). Loft window above. Entrance with boarded timber to right of centre; window (formerly entrance) to right. Stone in masonry to left roughly inscribed 'T S 1722'.

S ELEVATION: entrance to left of centre. Small boarded window to outer right.

E ELEVATION: cast-iron 8-spoke breast-shot waterwheel parallel to gable end to left of centre. Small window above to left; smaller opening above to right. Base of finial to gable.

W ELEVATION: small window to right (at ground floor). Loft window centred to gable above. Ball finial to gable.

Fixed single and 2-pane windows. Stone slate roof with some rooflights.

INTERIOR: cast-iron bevel pit-wheel intact. Splayed reveals to most windows.

Statement of Special Interest

An intact early bere mill, sympathetically restored in 1999 (it was re-roofed at this time). It was fed (together with the larger later Trenabie Mill immediately to the S - see separate list description) by water channelled via sluice gates from the Loch of Saintear. The leats and a sluice gate are still intact. It appears on the 1882 OS map as 'Corn Mill'. The Trenabie estate, to which it belonged, was in the ownership of the Balfour family. The current (2000) owners plan to restore it to working order.

References

Bibliography

1st Edition County Series OS MAP, 1/2500 (1881); John R Hume, THE INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY OF SCOTLAND, VOL II, THE HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (1977) p251; Leslie Burgher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) pp95-96.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PIEROWALL, TRENABIE BERE MILL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 16:19