Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Orkney Islands
Planning Authority
Orkney Islands
HY 44855 47663
344855, 1047663


Late 18th/early 19th century with slightly later addition to W. 2-storey and attic with single storey addition; rectangular-plan; laird's house with crowstepped gables and near-symmetrical principal (S) elevation. Coursed rubble, harled apart from to W side.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: original 3-bay block to right. Central entrance with later gabled porch; window to front; entrance with panelled timber door to right return. Window above and flanking windows to ground and 1st floors. Smaller single storey 3-bay addition to left. Central entrance with boarded timber door and rectangular fanlight; flanking windows.

N ELEVATION: original block to left. 2 near-central windows to ground and 1st floors; one to right of ground floor. Larger window to left of 1st floor. Breaking-eaves dormer to nepus gable to right of centre. Single storey addition adjoins to right (concrete block tank projects at junction). Entrance with boarded timber door to right; 2 small windows to left.

E ELEVATION: 2 windows to 1st floor and attic; one to left of ground floor.

W ELEVATION: blank gable end of single storey addition. Attic window set back to left and right of gable end of main block.

12-pane timber sash and case windows (largely broken/panes missing). Caithness slate roof (partially missing). Gablehead stacks with band courses to either side of main block; one at head of nepus gable to N side of main block; round cans where in existence; T-can to nepus gable stack.

INTERIOR: stone flagged floor to kitchen to left of entrance in main block; cast-iron range in fireplace; timber fireplace surround. Dog-leg staircase with plain timber balustrade. Large semicircular-plan stone range in single storey addition probably for heating water for laundry.

BOUNDARY WALL: coursed rubble boundary wall with rubble coping encloses house on all sides, enclosing a larger area to N. Remains of some rubble/harled outbuildings built around small enclosed yard to N of single storey addition. Small square-plan walled garden at NE corner of enclosed area (walls same height as boundary wall).

Statement of Special Interest

A handsome traditional Scottish laird's house (the only one on the island); intact although in a derelict condition (2000). The estate belonged to the Stewart family (Edward, the first laird, was an illegitimate son of Earl Robert Stewart of Orkney) from around the end of the 16th century until the middle of the 19th century (it was left to trustees by the 8th laird, James Stewart, in 1858). According to Fenton it belonged to the Traill family during the same period (the two families do appear to have been related however). In the early 1840's 'Mr Stewart of Brugh' was described as the head of one of only two families of independent fortune residing in the parish (then including Papa Westray, New Statistical Account). By 1880 it was certainly in the possession of the Traills of Holland (OS Name Book), for whom the nearby steading (see separate list description) may have been built.



1st Edition County Series OS Map, 1/2500 (1881); THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1845) p123; Alexander Fenton, THE NORTHERN ISLES: ORKNEY AND SHETLAND (1978) pp96 & 145; John Gifford, THE HIGHLANDS AND ISLANDS (in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series, 1992) p290; Leslie Bugher, ORKNEY, AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1991) p96; Jocelyn Rendall, PAPAY - A GUIDE TO PLACES OF INTEREST (2nd Edition, 1996) p24.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BROUGH HOUSE, INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/09/2019 11:56