Skip to content
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.



  • Category: B
  • Date Added: 11/06/1971


  • Local Authority: Angus
  • Planning Authority: Angus
  • Parish: Murroes

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NO 44734 34461
  • Coordinates: 344734, 734461


1810, extended and remodelled by James Findlay, 1902. Originally 2-storey, basement and attic, rectangular-plan with canted centre-bay, classical-style house sited on falling ground; extended to E and embellished to form irregular-plan, Arts and Crafts/baronial-style house, now a roofless shell (1991). Harled rubble, ashlar and bull-faced dressings, formerly Caithness stone slate roof. Band course at ground floor, bull-faced irregular crow-stepps at gables, ashlar coped stacks; thin ashlar window margins, mainly 12-pane sash and case frames, especially at earlier part of house, some casements at additions, most now missing and some windows bricked up.

N ELEVATION: round-headed entrance arch with hoodmould and label stops at advanced gable at centre of original house to right, window at 1st floor; 2 windows at ground floor right, 1 at 1st (blocked at right), both with continuous cill band, 2 similar bays at left; later recessed bay at far left with bipartite window at ground and 1st floor, segmental bay corbelled at 1st floor at left re-entrant angle, advanced gable at outer left with 3 asymmetrically placed windows.

E ELEVATION: advanced gable at right with further single storey gable advanced at angle at right, door at basement, window at ground floor, bipartite and single window at 1st, window at gable, truncated corbelled bartizan at 1st floor left; narrow recessed bay at left with window at ground, 1st and attic floor; advanced bay at outer left with 2 large gunloop openings at ground floor, roof swept down to 1st floor level.

S ELEVATION: full-height canted bay corbelled to crowstepped gable at centre of original house at left, 3 windows at basement, 1st and 2nd floor (windows at left and right partially blocked to multi-pane at 2nd floor); forestair to balcony (later bricked up and roofed) at left, window at 1st floor; round tower corbelled to square and gabled at angle at left, 3 windows at ground and 1st floor, various openings at basement; 2 windows at basement, ground and 1st floor at right; later advanced gable at outer right with 4 windows at basement, 4-light window at ground floor, recessed shallow-canted tripartite at 1st, window at gable, gable stack; segmental bay corbelled at ground floor and gabled bay advanced from original house at left re-entrant angle with window at each floor.

W GABLE: 2 windows at ground and 1st floor, each of different size, gable stack.

INTERIOR: most floors collapsed but canopied and moulded, sculpted chimney pieces remain at principal floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Ballumbie House was built for David Miller in 1810 and sold to the McGavin family in 1847. The house was extended and embellished for the merchant Alexander Gilroy. The photograph in Nicoll shows that the canted bay on the south elevation of Ballumbie House had a crenellated parapet before 1908 (now corbelled to crowstepped gable). There is a circa 1810 ice house to the north of the castle ruins which appears to have been rebuilt for a different purpose.



Andrew Jervise, EPITAPHS AND INSCRIPTIONS (1875), vol I, p124; David MacGibbon and Thomas Ross, CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE OF SCOTLAND (1889) vol III, pp158-159; William Marshall, HISTORIC SCENES IN FORFARSHIRE (1875), pp58-59; James Nicoll, ed, DOMESTIC ARCHITECTURE IN SCOTLAND (1908), plate 19; Alexander J Warden, ANGUS OR FORFARSHIRE (1885), vol V, pp8-9; DUNDEE DIRECTORY (1904); OS map 1902; drawings for extension and remodelling, DARC GD/WL bundle 8.

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at


There are no images available for this record.

Printed: 25/10/2016 00:34