Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
NS 44007 48326
244007, 648326


Circa 1771, extended 1862. Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, crowstepped, 3-bay house with later single-storey wings to rear (N), forming U-plan courtyard. Fusion of classical and traditional detailing. Painted with raised ashlar margins and quoins. Base course, cill course, eaves course. Nepus gable with single window and gablehead stack. Small attic windows to gables.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION: to S. Central Venetian doorpiece with key-stoned semicircular arch above and 2-leaf timber panelled entrance door with glazed interior doors. Central 3-bay section with flanking 2-bay single-storey wings with false Venetian windows and initials TLD on door lintel to right.

WINGS TO REAR: single-storey, with slatted timber garage doors, window and door openings.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped gablehead stacks.

OUTBUILDING: to W. Single-story, double-gabled rubble, slated outbuilding with pigeon holes to each gable.

INTERIOR: (seen 2008). Renovated in 1980, keeping largely original room plan and with some original features retained. Horseshoe staircase with timber balusters and banister. Some original simple plaster cornicing.

Statement of Special Interest

This distinctive, well-detailed, classical house has fine external features and is an excellent example of a late 18th century gentleman's house. The classical symmetrical proportions are typical of Scottish laird's houses in the late 18th century and the addition of the nepus gable adds to the grandeur and interest of the front façade. The deep space above the upper storey windows identifies the attic space, which is lit, in typical fashion, by small gable windows. The addition of the side wings, forming a U-plan to the rear of the property turned the house into a typical Ayrshire farm plan.

The house was built originally for a Lt Col T L Donaldson who had connections with the Royal Artillery and army and whose initials are seen on the door lintel of the RHS wing. It appears on the 1775 Armstrong Map as Whitlaw. The house was then extended for the family in 1862 with the offices wings. In a bad state of repair in the 1980s, it was comprehensively restored.

List description updated as part of Stewarton resurvey, 2009.



Andrew Armstrong, A New Map of Ayrshire, 1775, in NLS. 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map 1854-9. Michael Davis, The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, 1991, p135 & 282. Rob Close, Ayrshire and Arran, An Illustrated Architectural Guide, 1992, p121. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to OLD GLASGOW ROAD, HIGH WILLIAMSHAW, INCLUDING OUTBUILDING

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/07/2019 05:49