Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

KENNOX HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB18490

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
East Ayrshire
Planning Authority
East Ayrshire
Parish
Stewarton
NGR
NS 38469 44946
Coordinates
238469, 644946

Description

Predominantly mid 18th century in origin with substantial early 19th century additions and alterations (see Notes). Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay classical house with earlier, lower, 2-storey and attic wing to rear, forming T-plan. Cream painted rubble with raised ashlar margins; raised quoins to wing. Raised basement, band course, eaves course and cornice. Pair of piended dormers.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: PRINCIPAL ELEVATION TO S: central double fore stair with decorative cast-iron balustrade leads to pedimented and Corinthian pilastered doorpiece with 2-leaf, 6-panel timber doors with segmental glazing pattern semi-circular fanlight above and with 2-leaf, metal diamond-pane internal door. Central Venetian window to 1st floor.

WING TO REAR (N): W elevation: central symmetrical 6-bay house with advanced 2-bay gabled central section and pair of piended roofed dormers. Single storey to N with later glass cupola and date inscribed 1762 to skewputt.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Gablehead stacks. Raised skews.

INTERIOR: original room plan in main house largely extant: other areas largely modified. Some decorative plasterwork, 4-panelled timber doors.

GATEPIERS AND GATES: pair of square-plan painted stone gatepiers. Base course, cornices with graded capstones. Ornamental iron gates. Flanking symmetrical low rubble walls with metal railings and decorative pedestrian gates with fretwork and key patterns and with iron ogee tops. Evidence of possible former gatehouses remaining to E and W.

BOUNDARY WALLS: to S. Tall, coped rubble walls. Sections flanking gates with blind windows and ashlar margins.

Statement of Special Interest

This finely detailed small country house with its highly decorative accompanying gates and gatepiers is an excellent example of its type. The principal elevation of the house is finely proportioned and the double staircase with its fine cast iron balustrade and the central Venetian window is testimony to the impression that the house was built by a person of monetary substance. The gatepiers and decorative gates, positioned directly opposite the former Kennox Lodge, now Cottage (see separate listing) form a significant addition to the local streetscape and provide an elegant entrance to the house. The late 18th century rear elevation is little altered to the West and this adds to the significance of the house.

A fuller history of Kennox House is not currently known. It is noted in the 2nd Statistical Account of 1845, that Kennox in owned by a Col S MacAlister and that the house is a modern building worthy of notice. Paterson, in 1852, states that the mansion built circa 1720 still exists but has been extensively extended by his successors. It is difficult to ascertain if there is any of this early 18th century fabric left, as the earliest date on the house in 1762. Col MacAlister was one of the Somerville family who had owned the estate from around the beginning over the 18th century, although at that time it seems to have been known at Crevock. Armstrong's Map of 1775 shows Crevock House, in what is apparently the same location as the current Kennox. The name Kennox (or Kenox) does not appear until the Thomson Map of 1832. The house seems to have been further extended to the East in 1831, as this date appears in a stone on the east side of the house, but the extent of the work is not known. A bathroom extension was built on the east side of the house in 1911 by James A Morris, a major local Ayr architect.

List description updated as part of Stewarton Parish resurvey, 2009.

House and gatepiers were previously listed separately.

References

Bibliography

Andrew Armstrong, A New Map of Ayrshire, 1775, in NLS. John Thomson, Map of North Part of Ayrshire, 1832 in NLS. Canmore database at www.rcahms.gov.uk (accessed 07-04-08). 2nd Statistical Account of Scotland Vol V, 1845 p 733. James Paterson, History of the County of Ayr, Vol II, 1852 pf462. Michael Davis, The Castles and Mansions of Ayrshire, 1991, p291. Other information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KENNOX HOUSE, INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/11/2018 13:50